Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT
Backstrom has been out with a concussion since getting elbowed in the head by Rene Bourque on Jan. 3.
Gormley speculates that Backstrom could be back a few games after the All-Star break, but nobody can say for sure. Washington is 4-4-1 since losing its leading scorer and hasn’t scored more than four goals in a game once.
The Caps sit eighth in the Eastern Conference, just two points ahead of ninth-place Toronto. Tuesday they host Boston at the Verizon Center, where they could also be without Alex Ovechkin, pending a disciplinarian hearing with the NHL.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)