Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 PM EST
Backstrom has been out with a concussion since getting elbowed in the head by Rene Bourque on Jan. 3.
Gormley speculates that Backstrom could be back a few games after the All-Star break, but nobody can say for sure. Washington is 4-4-1 since losing its leading scorer and hasn’t scored more than four goals in a game once.
The Caps sit eighth in the Eastern Conference, just two points ahead of ninth-place Toronto. Tuesday they host Boston at the Verizon Center, where they could also be without Alex Ovechkin, pending a disciplinarian hearing with the NHL.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 12
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 14
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14