Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 PM EST
Backstrom has been out with a concussion since getting elbowed in the head by Rene Bourque on Jan. 3.
Gormley speculates that Backstrom could be back a few games after the All-Star break, but nobody can say for sure. Washington is 4-4-1 since losing its leading scorer and hasn’t scored more than four goals in a game once.
The Caps sit eighth in the Eastern Conference, just two points ahead of ninth-place Toronto. Tuesday they host Boston at the Verizon Center, where they could also be without Alex Ovechkin, pending a disciplinarian hearing with the NHL.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)