Jan 23, 2012, 2:17 PM EST
Adding depth on defense is always a goal for Stanley Cup contenders as the trade deadline approaches. With that in mind, would any team be willing to take a chance on the Wild’s Marek Zidlicky?
According to Michael Russo of the StarTribune, the 34-year-old blue-liner, a healthy scratch Saturday versus the Stars, could be available.
Zidlicky, as you might have guessed, is having a down year. He’s yet to score a goal in 34 games and has just 11 assists – not great for an offensive defenseman that’s broken the 40-point barrier five times during his career. Though to be fair, part of his modest point total has to be attributed to the Wild’s forwards and the team’s style of play.
Zidlicky’s cap hit is $4 million and he’s signed until the end of next season.
So, which teams might be interested?
St. Louis – The Blues’ 26th-ranked power play is a glaring weakness heading into the postseason.
NY Rangers – Given the tough minutes Dan Girardi already plays, does he really need to be out there with the man advantage? He’s not exactly offensively gifted anyway.
Detroit – Tons of cap space and would provide Mike Babcock with an excuse to scratch Mike Commodore.
Vancouver – Sami Salo’s injury history is a worry and Zidlicky, like Salo, is a right-handed shot. Granted, the Canucks would have to clear significant cap space before they made this move. Could they interest the Wild in a Keith Ballard? He’s from Minnesota…would sadly be the main selling point.
- Luongo leaves game, Panthers nearly run out of goalies 1
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 47
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)