Jan 23, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT
Adding depth on defense is always a goal for Stanley Cup contenders as the trade deadline approaches. With that in mind, would any team be willing to take a chance on the Wild’s Marek Zidlicky?
According to Michael Russo of the StarTribune, the 34-year-old blue-liner, a healthy scratch Saturday versus the Stars, could be available.
Zidlicky, as you might have guessed, is having a down year. He’s yet to score a goal in 34 games and has just 11 assists – not great for an offensive defenseman that’s broken the 40-point barrier five times during his career. Though to be fair, part of his modest point total has to be attributed to the Wild’s forwards and the team’s style of play.
Zidlicky’s cap hit is $4 million and he’s signed until the end of next season.
So, which teams might be interested?
St. Louis – The Blues’ 26th-ranked power play is a glaring weakness heading into the postseason.
NY Rangers – Given the tough minutes Dan Girardi already plays, does he really need to be out there with the man advantage? He’s not exactly offensively gifted anyway.
Detroit – Tons of cap space and would provide Mike Babcock with an excuse to scratch Mike Commodore.
Vancouver – Sami Salo’s injury history is a worry and Zidlicky, like Salo, is a right-handed shot. Granted, the Canucks would have to clear significant cap space before they made this move. Could they interest the Wild in a Keith Ballard? He’s from Minnesota…would sadly be the main selling point.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)