Jan 23, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT
Adding depth on defense is always a goal for Stanley Cup contenders as the trade deadline approaches. With that in mind, would any team be willing to take a chance on the Wild’s Marek Zidlicky?
According to Michael Russo of the StarTribune, the 34-year-old blue-liner, a healthy scratch Saturday versus the Stars, could be available.
Zidlicky, as you might have guessed, is having a down year. He’s yet to score a goal in 34 games and has just 11 assists – not great for an offensive defenseman that’s broken the 40-point barrier five times during his career. Though to be fair, part of his modest point total has to be attributed to the Wild’s forwards and the team’s style of play.
Zidlicky’s cap hit is $4 million and he’s signed until the end of next season.
So, which teams might be interested?
St. Louis – The Blues’ 26th-ranked power play is a glaring weakness heading into the postseason.
NY Rangers – Given the tough minutes Dan Girardi already plays, does he really need to be out there with the man advantage? He’s not exactly offensively gifted anyway.
Detroit – Tons of cap space and would provide Mike Babcock with an excuse to scratch Mike Commodore.
Vancouver – Sami Salo’s injury history is a worry and Zidlicky, like Salo, is a right-handed shot. Granted, the Canucks would have to clear significant cap space before they made this move. Could they interest the Wild in a Keith Ballard? He’s from Minnesota…would sadly be the main selling point.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)