Jan 23, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT
Adding depth on defense is always a goal for Stanley Cup contenders as the trade deadline approaches. With that in mind, would any team be willing to take a chance on the Wild’s Marek Zidlicky?
According to Michael Russo of the StarTribune, the 34-year-old blue-liner, a healthy scratch Saturday versus the Stars, could be available.
Zidlicky, as you might have guessed, is having a down year. He’s yet to score a goal in 34 games and has just 11 assists – not great for an offensive defenseman that’s broken the 40-point barrier five times during his career. Though to be fair, part of his modest point total has to be attributed to the Wild’s forwards and the team’s style of play.
Zidlicky’s cap hit is $4 million and he’s signed until the end of next season.
So, which teams might be interested?
St. Louis – The Blues’ 26th-ranked power play is a glaring weakness heading into the postseason.
NY Rangers – Given the tough minutes Dan Girardi already plays, does he really need to be out there with the man advantage? He’s not exactly offensively gifted anyway.
Detroit – Tons of cap space and would provide Mike Babcock with an excuse to scratch Mike Commodore.
Vancouver – Sami Salo’s injury history is a worry and Zidlicky, like Salo, is a right-handed shot. Granted, the Canucks would have to clear significant cap space before they made this move. Could they interest the Wild in a Keith Ballard? He’s from Minnesota…would sadly be the main selling point.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)