Jan 22, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, but Calgary’s Olli Jokinen has looked better in the last couple seasons and there’s a good reason for it.
Jokinen has cut out drinking from his life and he’s seen his career bounce back because of it. The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis gets the story from Jokinen about how going cold turkey has helped him find his game again with the Flames.
“I didn’t like to have a hangover. It wasn’t like I would drink every day, but when you go out, you would get plastered up pretty good, and it would take two or three days to recover. When you get older, that gets even harder and harder — you can’t do that very often. I’d have a major headache for several days, and that was the part I didn’t enjoy.”
Jokinen says he’s been going without booze for six years now. Jokinen is second on the Flames in points, just one behind his linemate Jarome Iginla. Last season saw Jokinen’s career rejuvenated in Calgary playing with Iginla and Alex Tanguay once again. It’s always good to hear that a guy takes life serious enough to do things to not just get his career cleaned up but his own life as well.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)