Jan 22, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, but Calgary’s Olli Jokinen has looked better in the last couple seasons and there’s a good reason for it.
Jokinen has cut out drinking from his life and he’s seen his career bounce back because of it. The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis gets the story from Jokinen about how going cold turkey has helped him find his game again with the Flames.
“I didn’t like to have a hangover. It wasn’t like I would drink every day, but when you go out, you would get plastered up pretty good, and it would take two or three days to recover. When you get older, that gets even harder and harder — you can’t do that very often. I’d have a major headache for several days, and that was the part I didn’t enjoy.”
Jokinen says he’s been going without booze for six years now. Jokinen is second on the Flames in points, just one behind his linemate Jarome Iginla. Last season saw Jokinen’s career rejuvenated in Calgary playing with Iginla and Alex Tanguay once again. It’s always good to hear that a guy takes life serious enough to do things to not just get his career cleaned up but his own life as well.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)