Jan 22, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, but Calgary’s Olli Jokinen has looked better in the last couple seasons and there’s a good reason for it.
Jokinen has cut out drinking from his life and he’s seen his career bounce back because of it. The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis gets the story from Jokinen about how going cold turkey has helped him find his game again with the Flames.
“I didn’t like to have a hangover. It wasn’t like I would drink every day, but when you go out, you would get plastered up pretty good, and it would take two or three days to recover. When you get older, that gets even harder and harder — you can’t do that very often. I’d have a major headache for several days, and that was the part I didn’t enjoy.”
Jokinen says he’s been going without booze for six years now. Jokinen is second on the Flames in points, just one behind his linemate Jarome Iginla. Last season saw Jokinen’s career rejuvenated in Calgary playing with Iginla and Alex Tanguay once again. It’s always good to hear that a guy takes life serious enough to do things to not just get his career cleaned up but his own life as well.
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 0
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)