Jan 22, 2012, 1:54 PM EST
You may not have noticed, but Calgary’s Olli Jokinen has looked better in the last couple seasons and there’s a good reason for it.
Jokinen has cut out drinking from his life and he’s seen his career bounce back because of it. The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis gets the story from Jokinen about how going cold turkey has helped him find his game again with the Flames.
“I didn’t like to have a hangover. It wasn’t like I would drink every day, but when you go out, you would get plastered up pretty good, and it would take two or three days to recover. When you get older, that gets even harder and harder — you can’t do that very often. I’d have a major headache for several days, and that was the part I didn’t enjoy.”
Jokinen says he’s been going without booze for six years now. Jokinen is second on the Flames in points, just one behind his linemate Jarome Iginla. Last season saw Jokinen’s career rejuvenated in Calgary playing with Iginla and Alex Tanguay once again. It’s always good to hear that a guy takes life serious enough to do things to not just get his career cleaned up but his own life as well.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 39
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)