Jan 22, 2012, 1:54 PM EDT
You may not have noticed, but Calgary’s Olli Jokinen has looked better in the last couple seasons and there’s a good reason for it.
Jokinen has cut out drinking from his life and he’s seen his career bounce back because of it. The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis gets the story from Jokinen about how going cold turkey has helped him find his game again with the Flames.
“I didn’t like to have a hangover. It wasn’t like I would drink every day, but when you go out, you would get plastered up pretty good, and it would take two or three days to recover. When you get older, that gets even harder and harder — you can’t do that very often. I’d have a major headache for several days, and that was the part I didn’t enjoy.”
Jokinen says he’s been going without booze for six years now. Jokinen is second on the Flames in points, just one behind his linemate Jarome Iginla. Last season saw Jokinen’s career rejuvenated in Calgary playing with Iginla and Alex Tanguay once again. It’s always good to hear that a guy takes life serious enough to do things to not just get his career cleaned up but his own life as well.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)