Jan 22, 2012, 11:43 AM EDT
Zetterberg was kicked out of last night’s game against Columbus for a play that saw him apparently shove Blue Jackets defenseman Nikita Nikitin from behind into the boards. Nikitin went knees-first into the end boards and down on the ice injured.
Zetterberg was given a five minute major for boarding and a game misconduct. The play looks really awkward.
Unlike on Ference’s hit, Zetterberg seems to give Nikitin a little shove helping Nikitin lose an edge going into the boards.
Darren Dreger of TSN says that there won’t be any league discipline for the hit because they don’t believe Zetterberg intended to shove Nikitin. Meanwhile, Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that Nikitin is out with a knee injury. Is that the right call here or should Zetterberg at least have a talk with the league?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)