Jan 22, 2012, 11:43 AM EST
Zetterberg was kicked out of last night’s game against Columbus for a play that saw him apparently shove Blue Jackets defenseman Nikita Nikitin from behind into the boards. Nikitin went knees-first into the end boards and down on the ice injured.
Zetterberg was given a five minute major for boarding and a game misconduct. The play looks really awkward.
Unlike on Ference’s hit, Zetterberg seems to give Nikitin a little shove helping Nikitin lose an edge going into the boards.
Darren Dreger of TSN says that there won’t be any league discipline for the hit because they don’t believe Zetterberg intended to shove Nikitin. Meanwhile, Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch reports that Nikitin is out with a knee injury. Is that the right call here or should Zetterberg at least have a talk with the league?
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)