Jan 22, 2012, 4:33 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin played a huge part in today’s game for Washington in spite of the Caps losing 4-3 in overtime. Ovechkin had a goal and two assists factoring in on all of Washington’s goals. If you asked Pens fans, however, they’d tell you that Ovechkin maybe shouldn’t have been in the game at all thanks to his hit on Zbynek Michalek in the second period.
Ovechkin appeared to leave his feet when hitting Michalek in the corner. Making matters worse he appeared to hit Michalek in the head. Have a look.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Of course, for all the yelling from Pens fans about that, Michalek was no saint himself. Michalek, shortly after getting rung up by Ovechkin, delivered a highly dubious hit of his own to Capitals forward Matt Hendricks.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Michalek got two minutes for elbowing on the play and perhaps deserved more. Could both of these hits wind up on Brendan Shanahan’s radar? Possibly.
Ovechkin has a previous record of being suspended while Michalek’s elbow from behind connected with Hendricks’ head. Any blows to the head are going to get looked at closer and to see Shanahan step in on either of these plays won’t be surprising.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)