Jan 21, 2012, 6:18 PM EDT
It’s no secret that things aren’t going well for the Sabres. “Poor play” is one way to describe it. Other people might say the team is “reeling.” There are even columnists that say this is “the worst Sabres team in a decade.” Then there are some fans in Buffalo that might use a little stronger language to describe the Sabres’ recent play. That’s what happens when a team gets outscored 19-5 in the first four games of a winless road trip.
Today, Sabres sniper Thomas Vanek had some equally strong words for his team’s recent play. “It’s embarrassing,” Vanek said Saturday afternoon. “Since day one when I got here, I always prided myself — and it’s what I learned from the older guys — to be a good road team which I thought we’ve always done a great job at. Right now it’s a mistake and it goes south for us.”
It’s not just that the Sabres are losing; it’s the way the team is losing. Once things start to slide for the team, the opposition is able to put on the pressure and destroy the Sabres without much resistance. The struggles have been on full display as they’ve lost their last three games to the Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Jets by a combined score of 15-3.
“Mentally, it’s tough. I’m not going to lie here and say we’re doing just great because we’re not.”
Good to hear that he’s not going to lie, because they aren’t playing well. It doesn’t get any easier tonight as the stumbling Sabres face off against the red-hot St. Louis Blues at Scottrade Center.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 35
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 14
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)