Jan 21, 2012, 6:18 PM EST
It’s no secret that things aren’t going well for the Sabres. “Poor play” is one way to describe it. Other people might say the team is “reeling.” There are even columnists that say this is “the worst Sabres team in a decade.” Then there are some fans in Buffalo that might use a little stronger language to describe the Sabres’ recent play. That’s what happens when a team gets outscored 19-5 in the first four games of a winless road trip.
Today, Sabres sniper Thomas Vanek had some equally strong words for his team’s recent play. “It’s embarrassing,” Vanek said Saturday afternoon. “Since day one when I got here, I always prided myself — and it’s what I learned from the older guys — to be a good road team which I thought we’ve always done a great job at. Right now it’s a mistake and it goes south for us.”
It’s not just that the Sabres are losing; it’s the way the team is losing. Once things start to slide for the team, the opposition is able to put on the pressure and destroy the Sabres without much resistance. The struggles have been on full display as they’ve lost their last three games to the Red Wings, Blackhawks, and Jets by a combined score of 15-3.
“Mentally, it’s tough. I’m not going to lie here and say we’re doing just great because we’re not.”
Good to hear that he’s not going to lie, because they aren’t playing well. It doesn’t get any easier tonight as the stumbling Sabres face off against the red-hot St. Louis Blues at Scottrade Center.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 44
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 57
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)