Jan 21, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Who are some of the hottest teams in the league right now? The Penguins have won five straight. The Predators have won nine of their last 11 game and the St. Louis Blues have only lost once in regulation over their last 10 games. But the hottest of all may be the Anaheim Ducks. Yes, really—the Ducks.
With their 2-1 win against the surging Ottawa Senators, the Ducks have now won four straight games and have earned points in eight straight games (7-0-1)—including a five-game winning streak at home. It’s not just that they’re winning; they’ve been incredibly impressive as they’ve outscored their opponents 33-14 in their last eight games.
Where was this team during the first three months of the season?
The problem for the Ducks is that they dug such a hole at the beginning of the season, they’ll need a historic run over the next three months to make the playoffs. Going into the evening games, they’re still 11 points behind the Colorado Avalanche for the 8th seed in the Western Conference. They’ll need to continue their hot streak and play like the Devils did last season just to make it interesting. Until then, Western Conference playoff teams will continue to root for the Ducks to knock off other contenders; it’ll take a while before the competitors start taking them seriously.
But if they can continue this hot streak for another few weeks, other teams will be forced to sit up and take notice. Until then, we’ll just be left wondering how a team can look this good for two weeks after looking so poorly for the previous two months—and how many of these players will still be on the team after the trade deadline.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 20
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8