Marc Savard’s health isn’t getting much better

Jan 21, 2012, 1:40 PM EDT

Marc Savard AP

Boston’s Marc Savard has been out of action since January 2011 after suffering another concussion against Colorado.

Today, he spoke with the media before the Bruins took on the Rangers and provided a bleak update as to how he’s doing dealing with his condition. Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe provides the sad words from Boston’s lost superstar.

“Right now, the way I’m still feeling and the daily issues I’m having, it’s tough to see a bright future right now,” Savard said. “It’s tough. I still have my tough days.”

It’s been nearly a year since Savard was put out of commission and the issues he’s having now make it highly unlikely he’ll see the ice at all in the future. Savard has five years remaining on his contract with the Bruins. That’s a long time to go without knowing if Savard will ever be healthy enough to play hockey again.

1. clavette - Jan 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM

sad to see this happen to anyone. glad they put his name on the cup, was the right thing to do

2. gbiscottagecheesefatties - Jan 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I still think Matt Cooke should have to talk a baseball bat to the head to make up for all the games / dollars / lives he has cost other players…. not a Bruin fan but a fan of honest play. Cooke, I hope nothing ever good happens to you, you F’n POS!

• miketoasty - Jan 21, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I hope that everyone who gave someone else a concussion in the NHL would also as you say “Take a baseball bat to the head” oh wait that would eliminate 1/4 of the league.

3. xxshookonexx - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:19 PM

these are probably the same symptoms that boogaard was suffering from but nobody knew

4. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:22 PM

good to see marc not getting better… fk the bruins. you little rats all deserve a concussion. funny how bruins fans say canucks are “unclassy” thats a joke. the bruins have the leadt amount if class and respect. all just a bunch of clowns and jokers.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Based on your comments, you’re hardly someone anyone should look to for a definition of “class”.

• spokedjackets - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I wish this site, after say oh about 20 thumbs down or so, would block idiotic comments like these. I hate a lot of teams and towns, but lets put it in some perspective.

• ikillchicken - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:35 PM

WTF is wrong with you dude? I mean, I’m a Canucks fan. I hate the Bruins as much as anyone. Yet even I think you’re being a massive prick.

5. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:23 PM

o andd great hit matt cooke!
    please aim for marchands head next please!

• xxshookonexx - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:38 PM

awwwww, you kids are so cute at this age

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Pretty sure you’d never say this in person, ITG.

6. bertilfox - Jan 21, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Hey bostonfullof…

Way to fully define yourself within a few short sentences. I’m glad to be on the opposite side. Please go back to your mothers basement now, where all your flaws are not visible to the rest of us.

7. icelovinbrotha215 - Jan 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Scary stuff.

8. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

drewsylvania

i still got more class than boston

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You wouldn’t know.

• elvispocomo - Jan 21, 2012 at 11:47 PM

You really should stop feeding the trolls. You take way too much offence at both the idiots and legitimate arguments going against you.

9. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:27 PM

10. 8man - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:08 PM

I said this last year after I watched his press conference, “He’s done. Not just with hockey….” His eyes are vacant. It’s almost as if there is nothing there.

• nhlbruins90 - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Yeah. Pretty tough times for him. Crosby should think really hard about the risks before he comes back again. I’m sure he will, but maybe a call to Savard wouldn’t be a waste of time.

11. truculence - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I’ll wait for Dr. Recchi’s diagnosis.

12. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM

death> cheering for the boston ruins

13. whittle79 - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:12 PM

You have no idea what class is !! You are a piece
    of S H I T !! You are not a fan at all !! You are scum !
    Like buddy said ! Go get your controller an chirp kids on Xbox or something you loser !!
    What kind of person wishes something bad to happen to another person ! You have issues !!

14. terriers4 - Jan 21, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You sir are an idiot, your acting worst than any bruins fan there is

15. elvispocomo - Jan 21, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Well, if I wait long enough for the kids’ bedtimes, I can maybe get a word in on this.

I wish Savard well, in the least that he recovers his health and can function. Maybe he never plays again (and possibly never should lest he risk further concussions) but no one wants him to have to sit at home in a dark room and live with the depression and debilitation that comes along with it.

• barkar942 - Jan 22, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Glad to see someone on here understands what is important in life, elvispocomo.
      Mark Savard’s concussion came from a horrible cheap shot from Cooke. I think the NHL should send repeat offenders to live with Marc for the length of their suspension and the entire off season to see what their stupidity can do to someone.
      His comment from his son that I read elsewhere is just so sad.
      I truly wish him the ability to regain enough health to live a semi-normal life.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches