Jan 21, 2012, 7:48 PM EST
Despite all of the garbage thrown in Roberto Luongo’s general direction recently, sometimes people forget he’s been a pretty successful NHL goaltender. After setting the Florida Panthers’ franchise record for wins at his last stop, he’s now replicated the feat while wearing a Vancouver Canucks jersey. With the Canucks 4-3 win over the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, Luongo past Kirk MacLean on the all-time wins list for the Canucks.
It’s only appropriate that we pump his tires today after he earned his 212nd win for the Canucks. After all, that sounds a little more impressive than the 108 wins he had for the Panthers.
Luongo deflected the praise after the game. “It’s a great honor,” Luongo said. “We’ve had a great team here since I’ve been here. Looking forward to winning many more” That’s true—the Canucks have had some stacked teams since Luongo arrived in British Columbia in 2006. But whenever a goaltender is averaging 40 wins per season over the first five seasons with a new team, he’s probably doing something right.
Even last season, he and Cory Schneider won the Jennings Trophy in the regular season and he put up four shutouts in the playoffs. Of course, there are still fans that are going to question Luongo’s feats until he brings a Stanley Cup to the Pacific Northwest. But for a day, we’ll take a step back and pay respect to a man who’s performed at a pretty high level over the last five seasons.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)