Jan 21, 2012, 5:34 PM EST
The Flyers impressive 4-1 win in New Jersey this afternoon didn’t come without a hefty price tag. Immediately after the victory, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced that Daniel Briere suffered a concussion and he will be out indefinitely. For those masochists who are counting, that brings the Flyers concussion total to six this season—and we aren’t even to the all-star break yet.
The most troubling part of Briere’s concussion is that the organization (and Briere himself) has no idea when the concussion occurred. Straight from Sarah Baicker at CSNPhilly.com:
“Through Flyers PR staff, Briere said he had no clue when he was hit or how the concussion happened. He returned to the game after the Volchenkov hit in the first period. But in addition to that hit, Briere was punched head-on by winger Patrik Elias.”
Not only does he have a concussion, but no one knows how it happened.
Briere is only the latest in a long list of Flyers that has been diagnosed with a concussion during this nightmare season. Captain Chris Pronger has already been diagnosed with a concussion and is out for the rest of the season. Superstar center Claude Giroux lost a handful of games in the middle of 24/7 filming, Brayden Schenn has struggled to get his NHL career started this season due to injuries (including a concussion), and James van Riemsdyk is currently sidelined. Mix in Matt Read, and the Flyers have been scrambling to fill holes all season.
There is never a good time for an organization to find out that one of their leaders has a concussion, but it’s even worse when it’s the day before a game against the defending Stanley Cup champs. After the game against the Bruins, the Flyers will travel down to Florida for a game against the Panthers before they head to the All-Star break. By that time, we should have a better idea of the severity of the concussion.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 38
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)