Jan 21, 2012, 5:34 PM EDT
The Flyers impressive 4-1 win in New Jersey this afternoon didn’t come without a hefty price tag. Immediately after the victory, Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren announced that Daniel Briere suffered a concussion and he will be out indefinitely. For those masochists who are counting, that brings the Flyers concussion total to six this season—and we aren’t even to the all-star break yet.
The most troubling part of Briere’s concussion is that the organization (and Briere himself) has no idea when the concussion occurred. Straight from Sarah Baicker at CSNPhilly.com:
“Through Flyers PR staff, Briere said he had no clue when he was hit or how the concussion happened. He returned to the game after the Volchenkov hit in the first period. But in addition to that hit, Briere was punched head-on by winger Patrik Elias.”
Not only does he have a concussion, but no one knows how it happened.
Briere is only the latest in a long list of Flyers that has been diagnosed with a concussion during this nightmare season. Captain Chris Pronger has already been diagnosed with a concussion and is out for the rest of the season. Superstar center Claude Giroux lost a handful of games in the middle of 24/7 filming, Brayden Schenn has struggled to get his NHL career started this season due to injuries (including a concussion), and James van Riemsdyk is currently sidelined. Mix in Matt Read, and the Flyers have been scrambling to fill holes all season.
There is never a good time for an organization to find out that one of their leaders has a concussion, but it’s even worse when it’s the day before a game against the defending Stanley Cup champs. After the game against the Bruins, the Flyers will travel down to Florida for a game against the Panthers before they head to the All-Star break. By that time, we should have a better idea of the severity of the concussion.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games