Jan 21, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT
This afternoon’s Bruins-Rangers tilt was the best game to have kick off a day full of hockey. Physical, tough hockey between the top two teams in the Eastern Conference makes for a hell of a matinee. Boston’s Andrew Ference helped turn a great game into one with an ugly finish thanks to his hit from behind on Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh in overtime.
Ference received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct while McDonagh left the game injured. The Rangers capitalized with just under four seconds left in overtime on the power play to earn the 3-2 win over Boston. What was mostly a classic regular season game was marred by Ference’s hit.
After the game, Rangers coach John Tortorella was a bit blunt saying, “It’s one of the most dangerous hits I’ve seen in a while. Nothing has to be said as far as what should be done.”
Ference told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he was coming in too fast and the play ended with a bad result. Bruins coach Claude Julien said, “Andrew Ference is not a dirty player. He supports what league is trying to do with removing dangerous plays from the game.”
If that’s the case, he won’t mind seeing Ference have a seat for a game or two should Brendan Shanahan decide to suspend him.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)