Andrew Ference wrecks Ryan McDonagh with wicked hit from behind

Jan 21, 2012, 4:57 PM EDT

This afternoon’s Bruins-Rangers tilt was the best game to have kick off a day full of hockey. Physical, tough hockey between the top two teams in the Eastern Conference makes for a hell of a matinee. Boston’s Andrew Ference helped turn a great game into one with an ugly finish thanks to his hit from behind on Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh in overtime.

Ference received a five-minute major for charging and a game misconduct while McDonagh left the game injured. The Rangers capitalized with just under four seconds left in overtime on the power play to earn the 3-2 win over Boston. What was mostly a classic regular season game was marred by Ference’s hit.

After the game, Rangers coach John Tortorella was a bit blunt saying, “It’s one of the most dangerous hits I’ve seen in a while. Nothing has to be said as far as what should be done.”

Ference told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he was coming in too fast and the play ended with a bad result. Bruins coach Claude Julien said, “Andrew Ference is not a dirty player. He supports what league is trying to do with removing dangerous plays from the game.”

If that’s the case, he won’t mind seeing Ference have a seat for a game or two should Brendan Shanahan decide to suspend him.

1. afc22 - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Wow, that’s an ugly cheap shot. Hope McDonagh is ok, that guy is really good…Ference deserves a suspension

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Another game, another cheap shot from the Bruins.

Getting more and more difficult to “spin” these incidents isn’t it Bruin fans? Just too many to deal with.

Also, Lucic delivered another sucker punch today to a “D” man and no penalty was called.

Nice team you got there, but the entire league is on to you now. Good luck with your gutless cheap shots and sucker punching going forward.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:32 PM

You don’t know what a sucker punch is. But that’s not surprising.

2. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:24 PM

another bruin going to be suspended? i love itt. bunch of dirty, hitting from behind bastards deserve to get suspended.

FUCk BOSTON

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM

No, fuck you. ITG

3. tmjm621 - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM

FUCK BOSTON!! They cry about cheat shots theyre the worst offenders, SCREW EM

4. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:28 PM

5. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:29 PM

must watch video^^^

6. drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:30 PM

No doubt it was an illegal hit and he’ll probably be suspended. But why can’t anyone see that he’s not trying to pull a deliberate board there? Why would he decide “Yeah, let’s put my team down for the entire OT?”

He screwed up. He doesn’t have a history of doing so. But the typical trolls (both among the commenters AND the writers on this site) will make up whatever story they like to fit their “ALL OF BOSTON ARE F’ING TROLLZZZZ” BS.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM

The reason Ference decided to put his team down for the entire OT was because he’s an idiot, just like you.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Well, then let me ask you, what did Ference think was going to happen when he choose to hit the man in the middle of the back that close to the boards?

Because he most certainly chose to make the hit, there was plenty of time for him to make a decision as he came in.

7. drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:31 PM

In retrospect I shouldn’t even bother posting when all it’s going to bring is megatrolls like habsman and this new piece of work.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Drew, what’s up? You got a man crush on me? Sorry I don’t roll that way (not that there is anything wrong with it).

You’re the biggest troll on here masters. But nice try at deflecting attention from your gutless sucker punching, cheap shot Bruins. And Ference most certainly does have a “history” of cheap shots and sucker punches. It’s just that his pal Greg and his Dad Colie covered for him and the rest of the goons.

But I do believe the league can turn a blind eye no more. Just too many incidents to cover for, and way too much spotlight on the cowards.

And getting very difficult for you and your fellow trolls to “spin”. Right MA?

• spokedjackets - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I wish I had a dollar for everytime you said “sucker punch” on this site.

• blkeskimo1785 - Jan 22, 2012 at 12:29 AM

You sure do have a raging boner for drewsylvania. Quite comical.

8. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 5:41 PM

rangers win!!

gotta love rasks reaction!

• brian32556 - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Did you see the ref duck behind the net when Rask prepared to chop his stick? Priceless!

9. spokedjackets - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Looks like he came in with a ton of speed and caught McD at an odd angle. Probably will get him a deserved game or two, but that certainly didnt look over the top malicious. It was more of the angle at which he hit him, than the force, and at that speed it happens in a split second. Mistakes happen people.

And for christ sake habsman, have you watched hockey before? With your pathetic definition of “sucker punch” for any team other than Montreal, it happens 14 times a game! In every game, so chill.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Did I hit a nerve?

So Ference made a mistake huh. The angle was wrong. Wasn’t malicious. It happened in a “split” second. The dog ate my homework. The cheques in the mail.

Keep up the “spinning”. You’re making it easy to see how pathetic you Bruin fans are. But you have to admit, it’s getting very difficult to continue defending these incidents. Just too many to defend. There’s only so much Greg and Colie can do.

• spokedjackets - Jan 22, 2012 at 10:12 AM

I didnt spin, I clearly said it was a bad hit and he deserves a few games on the pine. All Im saying is that if you think his eyes were red, hes foaming at the mouth and will not stop til he sees blood, you’re just plain wrong. A lot of speed and a bad angle equals bad result, and thats on Ference. But its certainly not the type of player Ference is night after night.

10. 8man - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Could have pulled up. Should have pulled up. Ference should miss the same amount of time that McDonagh does. Ference is smarter and better than that.

You know with the Bruins being current champs, I’m sure they are getting an earful on the ice. Maybe Ference should have just asked him if he wants to go.

As for habsman, your team is in total disarray and by the way, a total disgrace to anything French. You know, I’m expecting a mutiny similar to what the French national side did in the World Cup. I know your club is nothing to cheer for, so you’ve resorted to attacking the team that most recently ended their Stanley Cup aspirations. On the bright side, next year, you can attack your own team for that.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

8man,

First, I’m not French as if that matters.

Second, I agree with you. The Habs are in total disarray right now. And there are lots of people piling on. It’s OK, they deserve it. Last night was the clincher. We sent Gomez out as our last chance in the shoot-out. No wonder I drink.

But that has nothing to do with the “style” of play of the B’s. They have gotten away with tons of crap over the past two years. Thankfully, they are starting to pay now. There is a diference between tough and dirty. Some of your fellow B’s fans (spinsters) can’t see that.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM

You drink? To paraphrase Gandalf, try some arsenic next time & rid us of your stupidity.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Wow, using famous literary characters to impress on a hockey blog. You must be super smart! Then again, last week you were boastin about having a Masters of Asshole degree from somewhere in New England.

Question: How many gutless, cheap shot, sucker punching incidents have you had to defend (spin) in the past 24 month? Too many to count right?

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:31 PM

(@habsman) Do you keep a log of your posts and just copy & paste parts from each?

Sheesh.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Yes Drew, that’s my secret.

I’m off. Enjoy your evening, I’ll scrap at you later. Go Habs!

• drewzducks - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Spot on regarding Ference.

And also about the pathetic haters. Must suck rooting for a team who is called out for being a bunch of losers BY ONE OF THEIR OWN PLAYERS. I guess Claude didn’t parlez vous well enough for their standards. We’ll take him.

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

@drewzducks (aka redrew, drewsylvania, masters asshole),

This post is about a cheap shot, by one of your gutless sucker punching Bruins.

Nice try at pointing a finger in the other direction to divert attention. But I understand, when you cannot defend the actions (cowardly hit from behind), change the subject.

So how many games do you think he will get? Or will Greg and Colie take care of it?

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I’m not either drewzducks or redrew, but thanks for playing. Your parting gift is to have to watch your team play.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM

8man has it right on all fronts. Ference should have known better, should have held up, but he blew it, it cost his team the game, and will probably cost him a few games.

11. truculence - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM

If Ference isn’t a dirty player, then what was that hit on Halpern?

12. bostonhasrealhockey - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Habsman hows that 911 call going? Still on hold?

• habsman - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Wow, a phone joke. Aren’t you clever?

13. AppealToReason - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:43 PM

While Ference has never been suspended, he has made a handful of pretty borderline hits in his career. Always managed to duck out from the punishment but I think he’ll get 3 games for this. I think Stewart got a similar suspension earlier this season

14. matty373 - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

As a Rangers fan, I think that a suspension is coming and is probably in order. I don’t think it was a malicious hit, though.

• nhlbruins90 - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:12 PM

On that, we can agree. Looking forward to the playoffs already.

15. brian32556 - Jan 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

As a lifelong Ranger fan going back to the ’60’s when the Bruins were our biggest rivals, I don’t think of Ference as a dirty player – but today he made a bad, bad choice. Kudos to Krecji who immediately put on a hand on McDonagh to see if he was alright. All that being said, “LET’S GO RANGERS!”

• drewzducks - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Agree with you on Ference and Krejci. As a B’s fan I hate NY but respect the hell out of the way they play…tough, balanced on both sides…unlike the Habnots and Cannots…one of my favorite B’s Rangers memories was the look of disbelief on their players faces as they watched Milbury O’Reilly and gang climb into the stands to get the guy who grabbed O’Reillys stick…would be a great conference final

16. bostonhasrealhockey - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Suck my dick. Nuff said

• banshee950 - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:34 PM

good job ass hat, you’re as big a douche as habsman. he represents his team like a whiney bitch and you rep my team like an ingnorant asshole.
      @brian the ranger fan, you’re right. great game, Andy f’ed up and will likely pay for it. enjoy the view from up there (for now) we’ll seeya in few weeks!

17. matty373 - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Stay classy, Boston.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

There’s at least one poster above who would like you to consult his opinion about class…

18. canuckinamerica - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Does anyone here read what they wrote before hitting the submit button. Very much like kids in grade 4 at recess. Sad, really.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I have to act like an adult when I’m at work. This is my off day.

19. canuckinamerica - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Nice to know, then, that today is a day when you don’t ask….”fries with that?”.

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Hahahahaha let’s just say that you’re really, really wrong about my employment level.

You might want to re-read your own post about checking what you wrote before submitting.

20. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM

bruins suck

nuff said

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Yes, I think you’ve said enough already.

21. 8man - Jan 21, 2012 at 9:00 PM

And this is the second straight “big” game the Bruins have allowed themselves to fall prey to the media attention drawn to the game. Against the Canucks, despite being at home, they lost their poise and let the circumstances dictate their play. I don’t know what was said on the ice, but I’m sure the Canucks were running their mouths and the B’s let it and the bad call against Lucic get to them.

They took bad penalties and seemed more focused on punishing the Canucks than defeating them. Less of that in this game, but still a bad penalty at the end hinders them in pursuit of a win. I love these guys and it’s a long year, but their behavior in both games befits that of a team that is rattled or simply overcome with their own adrenaline.

The Bruins are good. Real good. They are big, strong, physical and deep. They can win it all again, but Claude needs to settle them down and get them focused on playing hockey in games against quality teams like the Canucks, Rangers, Wings, etc.

Penalties are part of the game and there are times when you have to take them. But they can’t get ejected for something foolish like a low hit or take a five minute major in OT when it’s already 4 on 4 against a quality opponent like New York or Vancouver. They just can’t do it. They have to be aware of where they are and what time it is. They have to be better. Hopefully Marchand learned something and hopefully Ference will as well.

“Kids these days. No respect.” – The Dark Knight

22. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 21, 2012 at 9:04 PM

No one can stop saying ruins suck! or that they dive, hit from behind, cry to the refs for penatlies, or my favourite… cheap shot someone and hide in chara’s ass!

This video will clarify everything for ya drewsylvania:

• drewsylvania - Jan 21, 2012 at 9:19 PM

You need professional help.

• 8man - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Your handle infers that rats are bad. They are misunderstood creatures. They are prolific and resilient. And you never see one rat screwing over another rat for a profit.

And I actually have a story about being bitten by one in the Verizon Center while attending a U2 concert..all you need is a tetanus shot…but I digress….

Perhaps, your missives refer to the quality of the Bruins character, because it certainly can’t refer to their play. You know, the same play that netted them the most brutally contested trophy in all of the sports? Yeah, that one.

Well, I for one, revel in your hatred of the Spoked B. Burn yourself out, dude.

23. vanfoodman - Jan 21, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I don’t care about Ference’s history or what he intended, that was a VERY dangerous hit! McDonagh hits the boards the wrong way and he’s DEAD! Let’s get real people. That was a hit from behind into the end boards with a full head of steam. Ten games, minimum.

• 8man - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:23 PM

He won’t get ten games. But it was clearly avoidable and I think that if the NHL instituted a policy that dictated that the attacker be suspended for the same number of games as the victim misses due to injury, we’d see less of these types of hits. I know it’s not realistic in all circumstances, but each case needs to weighed individually.

I don’t think it was malicious, so much as fatigue and recklessness. McDonagh did look as though he was pursuing possession of the puck. It’s no excuse, but it does explain the urgency to get there.

• Ralphie - Jan 21, 2012 at 10:47 PM

10 games? Have another drink you moron.

• vanfoodman - Jan 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM

I know he won’t get ten games, but he should. That was a potentially lethal hit.

24. terriers4 - Jan 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Bostonfullofrats… You just made this website 10 times worse.. There is a difference between having a good debate or even rivalry, and just being plain ignorant. Your showing no more class than the bruins right now

25. blkeskimo1785 - Jan 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I love how inflammatory the Bruins, Canucks, and Habs posts are.

26. davidschap - Jan 22, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Was a bad hit by a mon dirty player, and ference will pay for sure. FYI , not all Boston fans look for excuses. If its a bad play, or bad hit, or the best team won and it wasn’t my team, I’ll admit it and congratulate. Please don’t lump all of us into one pot until you’ve left moms basement and have gone out and experienced the real world instead of sitting at home flaming people you will never meet. Show a little respect.

27. bbk1000 - Jan 22, 2012 at 8:50 AM

The Bruins are a dirty team, no surprise.

Ryan McDonagh must be getting under peoples skin, he gets a lot of cheap shots….

28. gallyhatch - Jan 22, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Wow, a guy takes a Saturday night off from the web & look what he misses.

This was a bad hit. I certainly don’t think there was intent to injure, I don’t think Ference plays that way. I think it was an unfortunate accident, anything more than 2 or 3 games would be unfair for this transgression.

Now as far as the posters on this site go. . . . we have the usual comments from habsman & drewsylvania and others, and some great posts from 8man*, but considering some of the newcomers around here, this isn’t even fun anymore. I want real conversation, not comments consisting of “F*ck Boston” and nothing else. That’s not what I’m in it for.

Anyone know of any sites that promote intelligent conversation & ban clowns like that?

*seriously, your logic & clarity is a breath of fresh air among rampant examples of stupidity involving gay jokes, staying classy or terrible spelling / grammar. . . . what the hell are you doing on this site? I would say you are making everyone else look bad, but they do that themselves whether or not you are here!
    Thanks for staying above the bs!

29. hwentworth - Jan 22, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Seriously? That was the ugly hit? Would someone care to explain why that’s considered ugly? Hockey players wear pads. Guy is going to be fine.

30. odj810 - Jan 22, 2012 at 10:28 AM

andrew ference is a stand up guy, a great leader and a good teamate. One of my favorite players in the league. He has no dirty history and has spoken out even against his own teamates about bad hits. That being said this was a dirty hit, theres no way around it. Deliberate check to the back against the boards. He will get suspended for a few games and it will be well warranted.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches