Jan 20, 2012, 1:29 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger dropped a discussion-worthy bit of speculation in his mailbag column today. When asked by a reader which teams could be on the verge of a rebuild, he wrote the following:
The Columbus Blue Jackets may come close as this organization’s annual quest for an identity and winning combination has yet again fallen short. Jeff Carter, Antoine Vermette and Derick Brassard will likely be among those dangled and despite the constant denials from the player, agent and management, I’m sure Rick Nash‘s name will surface in discussions leading up to the deadline.
Vermette and Brassard are obvious trade candidates, and Nash’s name has been bandied about plenty already – but Carter? Would general manager Scott Howson really deal away the guy he landed in a blockbuster trade less than a year ago?
The Carter deal cost the Jackets Jakub Voracek, a 2011 first-round pick (Sean Couturier, taken eighth overall) and a 2011 third-round pick. Would he garner such a high return today? And if he didn’t, how would that make Howson look?
Carter, 27, is signed until 2022 with a cap hit of $5.3 million. He’s been one of the top goal-scorers in the NHL the past few seasons, so there’d be no shortage of interested teams.
If I had to guess, if Carter’s going to be traded, it’s likeliest to go down over the summer. Possibly when a new GM is in place and the mistakes of the previous regime won’t reflect poorly on the current one.
Of course, there’s always the chance the Jackets get an offer they can’t refuse. We hear the Leafs have been looking for a first-line center. And the Rangers could use some goal-scoring. Ditto for the Kings. Carter and Mike Richards, together again?
Feel free to rampantly speculate in the comments section.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)