Jan 20, 2012, 7:43 PM EST
In its purest form, hockey is an outdoor sport, but the Winter/Heritage Classic is usually the only time weather forecasts matter to the NHL.
That being said, fans need to actually get to the games, so sometimes especially inclement weather can cause some issues. That’s the case with the rough patch of snow storms that hit Chicago on Friday, as the Blackhawks will need to push back their reunion with Blackhawks Southeast (aka the Florida Panthers) to a 9 pm ET start time.
Ultimately it’s just a half hour difference, but it’s a wise move to give people extra time to brave the Chicago climate in order to get to the United Center.
Whenever I hear about these weather situations, I cannot help but think back to the story of New Jersey storms that forced Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac to sleep in Elias’ car while idling on a frozen highway.
(Editor’s note: it was 71 degrees today where I live. Sorry for the weather trolling.)
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 2
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)