Jan 20, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
Last night, San Jose Sharks forward Jamie McGinn tried to throw a hit on Ottawa’s Chris Phillips…and missed. Whiffing on the check was embarrassing for McGinn, but having his momentum carry him through the Zamboni door?
Yeah, additionally embarrassing.
Under normal circumstances, I’d put the onus on McGinn here. He tried to throw a big hit, failed, and will probably become a YouTube sensation once someone auto-tunes him (or dubs Yakety Sax into the background.)
But…it turns out this wasn’t an isolated event. Watch:
I get that certain quirks give arenas their charm, like the lively end boards at Joe Louis or drunken headbutts at TD Garden. But the “faulty door that flies open on contact” seems more dangerous than advantageous. Someone should probably fix that thing.
Update: Reader Alix says that’s not actually the Zamboni door and that it’s mislabeled in the video. Makes sense, ’cause the door is rather small — I’ve since updated the title and made all the changes because we strive for excellence here at PHT, especially in door identification.
That said, I still think they should fix it.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)