Jan 20, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
Last night, San Jose Sharks forward Jamie McGinn tried to throw a hit on Ottawa’s Chris Phillips…and missed. Whiffing on the check was embarrassing for McGinn, but having his momentum carry him through the Zamboni door?
Yeah, additionally embarrassing.
Under normal circumstances, I’d put the onus on McGinn here. He tried to throw a big hit, failed, and will probably become a YouTube sensation once someone auto-tunes him (or dubs Yakety Sax into the background.)
But…it turns out this wasn’t an isolated event. Watch:
I get that certain quirks give arenas their charm, like the lively end boards at Joe Louis or drunken headbutts at TD Garden. But the “faulty door that flies open on contact” seems more dangerous than advantageous. Someone should probably fix that thing.
Update: Reader Alix says that’s not actually the Zamboni door and that it’s mislabeled in the video. Makes sense, ’cause the door is rather small — I’ve since updated the title and made all the changes because we strive for excellence here at PHT, especially in door identification.
That said, I still think they should fix it.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic