Jan 20, 2012, 5:03 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks are giving Mark Bell a second chance at an NHL career, bringing up the 31-year-old from the AHL’s Syracuse Crunch.
Once a budding power forward with the Blackhawks — he scored 25 goals in 2005-06 — Bell was traded to the San Jose Sharks in the summer of 2006. However, just months later, he was arrested on suspicion of drunk driving and felony hit-and-run after an accident that left another motorist seriously injured.
Bell was eventually sentenced to six months in prison after pleading no contest to the charges. His punishment was subsequently reduced to community service – specifically, picking up garbage along the highway.
After one unimpressive season in San Jose, Bell was traded to Toronto where he had a short stint with the Leafs before spending the next few seasons in the AHL and the Swiss League.
The Ducks host Ottawa Saturday.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 4
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 1
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 31
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 76
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 9
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 23
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness