Jan 20, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
Perhaps it’s a matter of the New Year rolling around, some other force or just a mere coincidence, but the NHL seems chock full of streaks right now – both good and bad.
The Ottawa Senators topped the San Jose Sharks 4-1 (the score of Thursday night, it seemed) in a battle of hot-streaking teams, as you can see from these highlights:
There are plenty of great threads going along for Ottawa right now, which only seems elementary for a team that’s gone 10-1-1 in its last 12 games. They’ve broken a somewhat obscure team record of getting points in 11 straight road games (7-0-4), according to NHL.com. After stacking wins without getting many style points, Craig Anderson is finally actually looking like a strong goalie in January with an 8-1-1 mark in 2012 contests. Just about no one would have anticipated that the Senators would be ranked fourth overall in the East this late in the game.
Still, the most promising/startling thing is that Kyle Turris is making good on all of the trouble he caused to get away from the Phoenix Coyotes. Take a look at the startling contrast in his productivity between Ottawa and Phoenix this season:
Phoenix (six games): zero points, -2 rating and 12:45 minutes per game
Ottawa (16 games): four goals and nine assists for 13 points, +13 rating and 17:30 minutes per game.
That sizzling Sens run includes two goals and two assists in the last two games, so Turris is almost as hot as the team that’s been his salvation from the desert.
Naturally, the question for both Ottawa and Turris is: can they keep it up? It’s certainly getting tougher to count the Senators and the reclamation project out at this point.
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 5
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 3
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 9
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 20
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15