Jan 20, 2012, 6:14 PM EST
The NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement on…(holds breath)…escrow.
You’re probably super eager to learn all details, so without further ado, here’s the shared statement from the league and union:
The NHL and the NHLPA have reached a settlement of their dispute over 2010-11 Hockey Related Revenue (HRR). The return of Escrow monies to the Players and Revenue Sharing payments to the Clubs were on hold while these matters were being resolved. The Players’ Association and the League have also reached an agreement about how some of the disputed HRR issues will be addressed for this season (2011-12).
The disbursement of Escrow and Revenue Sharing monies will occur in the coming weeks.
In a related story, Shane O’Brien just ordered a round of shooters.
The dispute between the two parties reportedly centered around the $25 million the City of Glendale paid to the NHL last season to cover the losses of the league-owned Phoenix Coyotes. The union wanted the payment counted as hockey-related revenue (the players receive 57 percent of HRR); the NHL didn’t.
It’s not clear how the league and union came to an agreement. Perhaps they flipped a coin or had a winner-take-all game of Boggle. Maybe they just comprised.
Anyway, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the players will end up earning 97 percent of last season’s contracts.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)