Jan 20, 2012, 6:14 PM EST
The NHL and NHLPA have come to an agreement on…(holds breath)…escrow.
You’re probably super eager to learn all details, so without further ado, here’s the shared statement from the league and union:
The NHL and the NHLPA have reached a settlement of their dispute over 2010-11 Hockey Related Revenue (HRR). The return of Escrow monies to the Players and Revenue Sharing payments to the Clubs were on hold while these matters were being resolved. The Players’ Association and the League have also reached an agreement about how some of the disputed HRR issues will be addressed for this season (2011-12).
The disbursement of Escrow and Revenue Sharing monies will occur in the coming weeks.
In a related story, Shane O’Brien just ordered a round of shooters.
The dispute between the two parties reportedly centered around the $25 million the City of Glendale paid to the NHL last season to cover the losses of the league-owned Phoenix Coyotes. The union wanted the payment counted as hockey-related revenue (the players receive 57 percent of HRR); the NHL didn’t.
It’s not clear how the league and union came to an agreement. Perhaps they flipped a coin or had a winner-take-all game of Boggle. Maybe they just comprised.
Anyway, according to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the players will end up earning 97 percent of last season’s contracts.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)