Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EST
With his team down 2-0 to the Islanders last night, Philadelphia Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux tried to swing the momentum not with a goal — but a fight.
The third fight of his three-year NHL career, to be specific.
Giroux threw down with New York defenseman Dylan Reese — appearing in his second career NHL tilt — in what could best be described as a hug-fest.
One HockeyFights.com commenter quipped, “All that was missing on this one was a kiss and a cigarette.”
“We got into a couple of slashes and hooks, me and him, pretty much the whole game,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia following the game. “It had to be done.”
What “had to be done” didn’t have much of an impact. The Flyers looked as listless after Giroux’s fight as they did prior to, with Sergei Bobrovsky providing the quote of the night: “I really didn’t think anything [of it].”
“You don’t want to see that happening too often,” Briere said. “But at the same time, he’s showing that he’s got some fire in him and that’s gonna happen once in a while.
“I was hoping that was the boost we needed to get us going but we just weren’t able to finish on our chances.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)