Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
With his team down 2-0 to the Islanders last night, Philadelphia Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux tried to swing the momentum not with a goal — but a fight.
The third fight of his three-year NHL career, to be specific.
Giroux threw down with New York defenseman Dylan Reese — appearing in his second career NHL tilt — in what could best be described as a hug-fest.
One HockeyFights.com commenter quipped, “All that was missing on this one was a kiss and a cigarette.”
“We got into a couple of slashes and hooks, me and him, pretty much the whole game,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia following the game. “It had to be done.”
What “had to be done” didn’t have much of an impact. The Flyers looked as listless after Giroux’s fight as they did prior to, with Sergei Bobrovsky providing the quote of the night: “I really didn’t think anything [of it].”
“You don’t want to see that happening too often,” Briere said. “But at the same time, he’s showing that he’s got some fire in him and that’s gonna happen once in a while.
“I was hoping that was the boost we needed to get us going but we just weren’t able to finish on our chances.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)