Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
With his team down 2-0 to the Islanders last night, Philadelphia Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux tried to swing the momentum not with a goal — but a fight.
The third fight of his three-year NHL career, to be specific.
Giroux threw down with New York defenseman Dylan Reese — appearing in his second career NHL tilt — in what could best be described as a hug-fest.
One HockeyFights.com commenter quipped, “All that was missing on this one was a kiss and a cigarette.”
“We got into a couple of slashes and hooks, me and him, pretty much the whole game,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia following the game. “It had to be done.”
What “had to be done” didn’t have much of an impact. The Flyers looked as listless after Giroux’s fight as they did prior to, with Sergei Bobrovsky providing the quote of the night: “I really didn’t think anything [of it].”
“You don’t want to see that happening too often,” Briere said. “But at the same time, he’s showing that he’s got some fire in him and that’s gonna happen once in a while.
“I was hoping that was the boost we needed to get us going but we just weren’t able to finish on our chances.”
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 32
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 14
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 14
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)