Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
With his team down 2-0 to the Islanders last night, Philadelphia Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux tried to swing the momentum not with a goal — but a fight.
The third fight of his three-year NHL career, to be specific.
Giroux threw down with New York defenseman Dylan Reese — appearing in his second career NHL tilt — in what could best be described as a hug-fest.
One HockeyFights.com commenter quipped, “All that was missing on this one was a kiss and a cigarette.”
“We got into a couple of slashes and hooks, me and him, pretty much the whole game,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia following the game. “It had to be done.”
What “had to be done” didn’t have much of an impact. The Flyers looked as listless after Giroux’s fight as they did prior to, with Sergei Bobrovsky providing the quote of the night: “I really didn’t think anything [of it].”
“You don’t want to see that happening too often,” Briere said. “But at the same time, he’s showing that he’s got some fire in him and that’s gonna happen once in a while.
“I was hoping that was the boost we needed to get us going but we just weren’t able to finish on our chances.”
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)