Jan 20, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
With his team down 2-0 to the Islanders last night, Philadelphia Flyers leading scorer Claude Giroux tried to swing the momentum not with a goal — but a fight.
The third fight of his three-year NHL career, to be specific.
Giroux threw down with New York defenseman Dylan Reese — appearing in his second career NHL tilt — in what could best be described as a hug-fest.
One HockeyFights.com commenter quipped, “All that was missing on this one was a kiss and a cigarette.”
“We got into a couple of slashes and hooks, me and him, pretty much the whole game,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia following the game. “It had to be done.”
What “had to be done” didn’t have much of an impact. The Flyers looked as listless after Giroux’s fight as they did prior to, with Sergei Bobrovsky providing the quote of the night: “I really didn’t think anything [of it].”
“You don’t want to see that happening too often,” Briere said. “But at the same time, he’s showing that he’s got some fire in him and that’s gonna happen once in a while.
“I was hoping that was the boost we needed to get us going but we just weren’t able to finish on our chances.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)