Jan 20, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster knows his team is struggling with injuries at the moment.
He just doesn’t want anybody talking about it.
Despite the fact Calgary played — and won — in Los Angeles last night without the services of Alex Tanguay, Brendan Morrison, Curtis Glencross, David Moss, Derek Smith and Henrik Karlsson, Feaster seemed irate that reporters were asking about the ailing Flames.
“I wish we weren’t talking about them. I wish we weren’t writing about them. I wish you guys weren’t in the locker-room talking to players about them. I think it’s just a bunch of garbage,” Feaster told the Calgary Sun. “Every team in the National Hockey League goes through it. And when you start talking about them and you start woe-is-me-ing them, it becomes nothing more than a crutch. It becomes nothing more than an excuse.”
It’s an admirable stance Feaster’s taking, because it would be easy for Calgary to start feeling sorry for itself. The Flames played three rookies against the Kings — TJ Bodie, Roman Horak and Lance Bouma — and leaned heavily on the big four of Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla, Mike Cammalleri and Chris Butler, all of whom played over 23 minutes.
But even with the thinned-out roster and increased ice times, Calgary is only two points out of a playoff spot. Which is probably why Feaster doesn’t want his players dwelling on who’s not available on a nightly basis.
“I don’t want the players thinking about it. I don’t want them thinking about who’s not here,” he continued. “Tough luck who’s not here. We worry about the guys that are here and the guys that are available to play. And our job is to go out there and perform. That’s the bottom line.
“I don’t want us talking about injuries.”
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54