Jan 20, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster knows his team is struggling with injuries at the moment.
He just doesn’t want anybody talking about it.
Despite the fact Calgary played — and won — in Los Angeles last night without the services of Alex Tanguay, Brendan Morrison, Curtis Glencross, David Moss, Derek Smith and Henrik Karlsson, Feaster seemed irate that reporters were asking about the ailing Flames.
“I wish we weren’t talking about them. I wish we weren’t writing about them. I wish you guys weren’t in the locker-room talking to players about them. I think it’s just a bunch of garbage,” Feaster told the Calgary Sun. “Every team in the National Hockey League goes through it. And when you start talking about them and you start woe-is-me-ing them, it becomes nothing more than a crutch. It becomes nothing more than an excuse.”
It’s an admirable stance Feaster’s taking, because it would be easy for Calgary to start feeling sorry for itself. The Flames played three rookies against the Kings — TJ Bodie, Roman Horak and Lance Bouma — and leaned heavily on the big four of Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla, Mike Cammalleri and Chris Butler, all of whom played over 23 minutes.
But even with the thinned-out roster and increased ice times, Calgary is only two points out of a playoff spot. Which is probably why Feaster doesn’t want his players dwelling on who’s not available on a nightly basis.
“I don’t want the players thinking about it. I don’t want them thinking about who’s not here,” he continued. “Tough luck who’s not here. We worry about the guys that are here and the guys that are available to play. And our job is to go out there and perform. That’s the bottom line.
“I don’t want us talking about injuries.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)