Jan 20, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster knows his team is struggling with injuries at the moment.
He just doesn’t want anybody talking about it.
Despite the fact Calgary played — and won — in Los Angeles last night without the services of Alex Tanguay, Brendan Morrison, Curtis Glencross, David Moss, Derek Smith and Henrik Karlsson, Feaster seemed irate that reporters were asking about the ailing Flames.
“I wish we weren’t talking about them. I wish we weren’t writing about them. I wish you guys weren’t in the locker-room talking to players about them. I think it’s just a bunch of garbage,” Feaster told the Calgary Sun. “Every team in the National Hockey League goes through it. And when you start talking about them and you start woe-is-me-ing them, it becomes nothing more than a crutch. It becomes nothing more than an excuse.”
It’s an admirable stance Feaster’s taking, because it would be easy for Calgary to start feeling sorry for itself. The Flames played three rookies against the Kings — TJ Bodie, Roman Horak and Lance Bouma — and leaned heavily on the big four of Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla, Mike Cammalleri and Chris Butler, all of whom played over 23 minutes.
But even with the thinned-out roster and increased ice times, Calgary is only two points out of a playoff spot. Which is probably why Feaster doesn’t want his players dwelling on who’s not available on a nightly basis.
“I don’t want the players thinking about it. I don’t want them thinking about who’s not here,” he continued. “Tough luck who’s not here. We worry about the guys that are here and the guys that are available to play. And our job is to go out there and perform. That’s the bottom line.
“I don’t want us talking about injuries.”
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)