Jan 20, 2012, 11:35 AM EDT
Calgary Flames GM Jay Feaster knows his team is struggling with injuries at the moment.
He just doesn’t want anybody talking about it.
Despite the fact Calgary played — and won — in Los Angeles last night without the services of Alex Tanguay, Brendan Morrison, Curtis Glencross, David Moss, Derek Smith and Henrik Karlsson, Feaster seemed irate that reporters were asking about the ailing Flames.
“I wish we weren’t talking about them. I wish we weren’t writing about them. I wish you guys weren’t in the locker-room talking to players about them. I think it’s just a bunch of garbage,” Feaster told the Calgary Sun. “Every team in the National Hockey League goes through it. And when you start talking about them and you start woe-is-me-ing them, it becomes nothing more than a crutch. It becomes nothing more than an excuse.”
It’s an admirable stance Feaster’s taking, because it would be easy for Calgary to start feeling sorry for itself. The Flames played three rookies against the Kings — TJ Bodie, Roman Horak and Lance Bouma — and leaned heavily on the big four of Jay Bouwmeester, Jarome Iginla, Mike Cammalleri and Chris Butler, all of whom played over 23 minutes.
But even with the thinned-out roster and increased ice times, Calgary is only two points out of a playoff spot. Which is probably why Feaster doesn’t want his players dwelling on who’s not available on a nightly basis.
“I don’t want the players thinking about it. I don’t want them thinking about who’s not here,” he continued. “Tough luck who’s not here. We worry about the guys that are here and the guys that are available to play. And our job is to go out there and perform. That’s the bottom line.
“I don’t want us talking about injuries.”
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 42
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 33
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22