Jan 20, 2012, 5:04 PM EST
It was a good news, bad news day for Winnipeg Jets defenseman Dustin Byfuglien.
The good news: Big Buff skated with teammates, a notable step in recovering from a knee injury that’s sidelined him since Christmas.
The bad news: He’s still unable to fully practice with the Jets, putting his All-Star Game participation in doubt.
These developments make for a precarious timeline over the next week. The All-Star Game is set for Sunday, Jan. 29 — nine days from now — and Winnipeg head coach Claude Noel is trying to balance the All-Star appearance with getting his top-scoring defenseman back in the lineup.
“He’s a little ways… he’s got to start practising with us a little bit first,” Noel told the Winnipeg Free Press. “I think he might skate with us, get some ice time with us, then we’re trying to toss around bringing him with us [on a two-game road trip to Carolina and New York], to get him on the ice and get going.
“The next question is the All-Star situation. I’m not quite sure where that lends itself. He needs to play a game or two in my estimation to be able to play in the all-star game, so that might be up in the air.”
Noel said his preference is that Byfuglien’s “100 percent or close” before taking part in the ASG and basically demanded Buff return to the Jets lineup before playing in Ottawa.
All-Star attendance aside, the Jets are keen to get Byfuglien back in the lineup as they continue to push towards the eighth and final playoff spot in the East. After a slow start to the season — Buff had just four points in October and finished minus-5 — he’s rebounded nicely, registering 20 points in his last 24 games played, and remains one of Winnipeg’s biggest workhorses, averaging over 23 minutes of ice time per game.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)