Jan 20, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
The NHL has announced the coaching assignments for the 2012 All-Star game, and it appears one team will have a decidedly Boston feel.
Zdeno Chara — named one of the two ASG captains — will be coached by his regular Boston Bruins staff, featuring head coach Claude Julien and assistants Doug Jarvis, Geoff Ward and Doug Houda.
(We’ve now mentioned Houda twice in one day on PHT, which has to be some kind of record.)
Julien and his assistants were rewarded with the All-Star coaching spot thanks to their Stanley Cup win last spring. This year, they’ve led the Bruins to a 30-13-1 mark, tops in the Northeast Division — the Bs are also just one of two teams right now with 30 wins, the other being Detroit.
As for the other All-Star captain — Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson — he’ll be coached by New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella and San Jose Sharks head coach Todd McLellan. The two earned ASG coaching honors for leading their respective conferences in points percentage through the midpoint of the 2011-12 regular season, which was Monday, Jan. 9.
Chara and Alfredsson will round out their rosters at the All-Star Player Fantasy Draft on Jan. 26.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic