Jan 20, 2012, 4:05 PM EST
The NHL has announced the coaching assignments for the 2012 All-Star game, and it appears one team will have a decidedly Boston feel.
Zdeno Chara — named one of the two ASG captains — will be coached by his regular Boston Bruins staff, featuring head coach Claude Julien and assistants Doug Jarvis, Geoff Ward and Doug Houda.
(We’ve now mentioned Houda twice in one day on PHT, which has to be some kind of record.)
Julien and his assistants were rewarded with the All-Star coaching spot thanks to their Stanley Cup win last spring. This year, they’ve led the Bruins to a 30-13-1 mark, tops in the Northeast Division — the Bs are also just one of two teams right now with 30 wins, the other being Detroit.
As for the other All-Star captain — Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson — he’ll be coached by New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella and San Jose Sharks head coach Todd McLellan. The two earned ASG coaching honors for leading their respective conferences in points percentage through the midpoint of the 2011-12 regular season, which was Monday, Jan. 9.
Chara and Alfredsson will round out their rosters at the All-Star Player Fantasy Draft on Jan. 26.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)