Jan 20, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
The NHL has announced the coaching assignments for the 2012 All-Star game, and it appears one team will have a decidedly Boston feel.
Zdeno Chara — named one of the two ASG captains — will be coached by his regular Boston Bruins staff, featuring head coach Claude Julien and assistants Doug Jarvis, Geoff Ward and Doug Houda.
(We’ve now mentioned Houda twice in one day on PHT, which has to be some kind of record.)
Julien and his assistants were rewarded with the All-Star coaching spot thanks to their Stanley Cup win last spring. This year, they’ve led the Bruins to a 30-13-1 mark, tops in the Northeast Division — the Bs are also just one of two teams right now with 30 wins, the other being Detroit.
As for the other All-Star captain — Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson — he’ll be coached by New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella and San Jose Sharks head coach Todd McLellan. The two earned ASG coaching honors for leading their respective conferences in points percentage through the midpoint of the 2011-12 regular season, which was Monday, Jan. 9.
Chara and Alfredsson will round out their rosters at the All-Star Player Fantasy Draft on Jan. 26.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)