Jan 20, 2012, 4:05 PM EDT
The NHL has announced the coaching assignments for the 2012 All-Star game, and it appears one team will have a decidedly Boston feel.
Zdeno Chara — named one of the two ASG captains — will be coached by his regular Boston Bruins staff, featuring head coach Claude Julien and assistants Doug Jarvis, Geoff Ward and Doug Houda.
(We’ve now mentioned Houda twice in one day on PHT, which has to be some kind of record.)
Julien and his assistants were rewarded with the All-Star coaching spot thanks to their Stanley Cup win last spring. This year, they’ve led the Bruins to a 30-13-1 mark, tops in the Northeast Division — the Bs are also just one of two teams right now with 30 wins, the other being Detroit.
As for the other All-Star captain — Ottawa’s Daniel Alfredsson — he’ll be coached by New York Rangers bench boss John Tortorella and San Jose Sharks head coach Todd McLellan. The two earned ASG coaching honors for leading their respective conferences in points percentage through the midpoint of the 2011-12 regular season, which was Monday, Jan. 9.
Chara and Alfredsson will round out their rosters at the All-Star Player Fantasy Draft on Jan. 26.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 0
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5