Jan 19, 2012, 11:04 PM EDT
Going into tonight’s Minnesota Wild-Toronto Maple Leafs game, it seemed like Leafs coach Ron Wilson would be the biggest story. Wilson was the guy who broke up one of the NHL’s most explosive combos in Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul, after all.
The Wild’s coach ended up being the biggest source of controversy instead, however, as Mike Yeo provided some candid criticisms of his free-falling team after they lost 4-1.
“I’ve been coaching for quite awhile, and I’ve been part of a lot of games I didn’t like,” Yeo said. “This one ranks right up there.”
“We can get mad at the refs, but it’s not their fault … We have to take a good long look at ourselves.”
Yeo’s team is now on an 11-game win-less streak in road games, going 0-9-2. Ultimately, the new-look Leafs beat the same-old Wild as Minnesota’s anemic offense has only managed 11 goals in that 11-game span.
Minnesota beat writer Michael Russo captures the frustration of that futility almost as well as Yeo did:
Minnesota has been out-scored 35-11 during its nightmare 11-game road slump.
Strangely enough, both the Maple Leafs and Wild are now located at ninth place in their respective conferences with 51 points. It’s not tough to imagine that the mood is far more positive in Toronto than it is in Minnesota right now, though.
Here are the highlights (or lowlights, if you’re a Wild fan).
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 12
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 23
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 55
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)