Jan 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is something of a Twitter superstar (well, within NHL circles.)
He’s accumulated over 72,000 followers, been named to Sports Illustrated’s Twitter 100 and spells most words correctly (which is rare within NHL circles.)
He’s also unafraid to express his opinions. Like regarding music, for example:
Whitney’s not alone with his critical acclaim. Rolling Stone ranked Fast Car No. 167 on their list of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time“, sandwiched between Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” (No. 168) and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” (No. 166).
And, lest we forget, Fast Car was sampled by Nice & Smooth in their 1991 hit, “Sometimes I Rhyme Slow…”
Regardless of what you think of Tracy Champman and/or Fast Car, it’s nice to see an NHLer express an affinity for music his peers might otherwise ignore. Whitney plays in Edmonton, where the average age is like 18 — my guess is there are a lot of iPods with a lot of LMFAO on them. (Yes yes, party rock is in the house tonight.)
In closing, we leave you with some Fast Car. Feel free to leave the room if it starts getting dusty. Totally understandable.
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 1
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 10
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 60
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 31
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 13
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (61)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)