Jan 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is something of a Twitter superstar (well, within NHL circles.)
He’s accumulated over 72,000 followers, been named to Sports Illustrated’s Twitter 100 and spells most words correctly (which is rare within NHL circles.)
He’s also unafraid to express his opinions. Like regarding music, for example:
Whitney’s not alone with his critical acclaim. Rolling Stone ranked Fast Car No. 167 on their list of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time“, sandwiched between Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” (No. 168) and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” (No. 166).
And, lest we forget, Fast Car was sampled by Nice & Smooth in their 1991 hit, “Sometimes I Rhyme Slow…”
Regardless of what you think of Tracy Champman and/or Fast Car, it’s nice to see an NHLer express an affinity for music his peers might otherwise ignore. Whitney plays in Edmonton, where the average age is like 18 — my guess is there are a lot of iPods with a lot of LMFAO on them. (Yes yes, party rock is in the house tonight.)
In closing, we leave you with some Fast Car. Feel free to leave the room if it starts getting dusty. Totally understandable.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (59)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)