Jan 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is something of a Twitter superstar (well, within NHL circles.)
He’s accumulated over 72,000 followers, been named to Sports Illustrated’s Twitter 100 and spells most words correctly (which is rare within NHL circles.)
He’s also unafraid to express his opinions. Like regarding music, for example:
Whitney’s not alone with his critical acclaim. Rolling Stone ranked Fast Car No. 167 on their list of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time“, sandwiched between Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” (No. 168) and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” (No. 166).
And, lest we forget, Fast Car was sampled by Nice & Smooth in their 1991 hit, “Sometimes I Rhyme Slow…”
Regardless of what you think of Tracy Champman and/or Fast Car, it’s nice to see an NHLer express an affinity for music his peers might otherwise ignore. Whitney plays in Edmonton, where the average age is like 18 — my guess is there are a lot of iPods with a lot of LMFAO on them. (Yes yes, party rock is in the house tonight.)
In closing, we leave you with some Fast Car. Feel free to leave the room if it starts getting dusty. Totally understandable.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)