Jan 19, 2012, 6:34 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
Edmonton Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is something of a Twitter superstar (well, within NHL circles.)
He’s accumulated over 72,000 followers, been named to Sports Illustrated’s Twitter 100 and spells most words correctly (which is rare within NHL circles.)
He’s also unafraid to express his opinions. Like regarding music, for example:
Whitney’s not alone with his critical acclaim. Rolling Stone ranked Fast Car No. 167 on their list of “The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time“, sandwiched between Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get It On” (No. 168) and Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” (No. 166).
And, lest we forget, Fast Car was sampled by Nice & Smooth in their 1991 hit, “Sometimes I Rhyme Slow…”
Regardless of what you think of Tracy Champman and/or Fast Car, it’s nice to see an NHLer express an affinity for music his peers might otherwise ignore. Whitney plays in Edmonton, where the average age is like 18 — my guess is there are a lot of iPods with a lot of LMFAO on them. (Yes yes, party rock is in the house tonight.)
In closing, we leave you with some Fast Car. Feel free to leave the room if it starts getting dusty. Totally understandable.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 11
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 33
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25