Jan 19, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Boston Bruins tough guy Shawn Thorton has offered up some advice to teammate Zdeno Chara as the gargantuan blueliner preps for All-Star captaincy duties.
When it comes time to draft teams, don’t draft any Canucks.
“If it was me,” Thornton said on The Toucher and Rich Show (98.5 The Sports Hub, Boston) this morning. “I probably wouldn’t pick somebody from Vancouver.”
Thornton’s comments are hardly surprising given what’s transpired recently. The ongoing debate over his non-fight with Vancouver’s Dale Weise (yes, Weise ducked out of it) spilled over to the media, resulting in a televised confrontation with a Vancouver-based sportswriter who questioned Thornton’s enforcer ethics.
Also, the Bruins dislike the Canucks and Thornton’s a Bruin. So there’s that.
Thornton also had some drafting advice with regards to his and Chara’s former Bruins teammate, Phil Kessel. Kessel was Mr. Irrelevant a year ago — taken last overall, a somewhat humiliating moment — and Thornton thinks it’d be funny for Kessel to get it again.
“Absolutely, and for no other reason then I would think it was funny that he got picked last for a couple years in a row,” he said. “I would try to keep it going for as long as possible.”
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 4
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1