Jan 19, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT
Boston Bruins tough guy Shawn Thorton has offered up some advice to teammate Zdeno Chara as the gargantuan blueliner preps for All-Star captaincy duties.
When it comes time to draft teams, don’t draft any Canucks.
“If it was me,” Thornton said on The Toucher and Rich Show (98.5 The Sports Hub, Boston) this morning. “I probably wouldn’t pick somebody from Vancouver.”
Thornton’s comments are hardly surprising given what’s transpired recently. The ongoing debate over his non-fight with Vancouver’s Dale Weise (yes, Weise ducked out of it) spilled over to the media, resulting in a televised confrontation with a Vancouver-based sportswriter who questioned Thornton’s enforcer ethics.
Also, the Bruins dislike the Canucks and Thornton’s a Bruin. So there’s that.
Thornton also had some drafting advice with regards to his and Chara’s former Bruins teammate, Phil Kessel. Kessel was Mr. Irrelevant a year ago — taken last overall, a somewhat humiliating moment — and Thornton thinks it’d be funny for Kessel to get it again.
“Absolutely, and for no other reason then I would think it was funny that he got picked last for a couple years in a row,” he said. “I would try to keep it going for as long as possible.”
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13