Thornton to All-Star captain Chara: Don’t pick any Canucks

Jan 19, 2012, 5:26 PM EST

Shawn Thornton Getty Images

Boston Bruins tough guy Shawn Thorton has offered up some advice to teammate Zdeno Chara as the gargantuan blueliner preps for All-Star captaincy duties.

When it comes time to draft teams, don’t draft any Canucks.

“If it was me,” Thornton said on The Toucher and Rich Show (98.5 The Sports Hub, Boston) this morning.  “I probably wouldn’t pick somebody from Vancouver.”

Thornton’s comments are hardly surprising given what’s transpired recently. The ongoing debate over his non-fight with Vancouver’s Dale Weise (yes, Weise ducked out of it) spilled over to the media, resulting in a televised confrontation with a Vancouver-based sportswriter who questioned Thornton’s enforcer ethics.

Also, the Bruins dislike the Canucks and Thornton’s a Bruin. So there’s that.

Thornton also had some drafting advice with regards to his and Chara’s former Bruins teammate, Phil Kessel. Kessel was Mr. Irrelevant a year ago — taken last overall, a somewhat humiliating moment — and Thornton thinks it’d be funny for Kessel to get it again.

“Absolutely, and for no other reason then I would think it was funny that he got picked last for a couple years in a row,” he said. “I would try to keep it going for as long as possible.”

1. elvispocomo - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Stay classy, San Diego.

But seriously, no surprise here, and surely joking a little about Kessel, despite it actually being kinda funny.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I can see Krusty the Clown and Chara messing with Kessel by picking him last. Neither of them are the biggest Leafs fans.

• vanchuk - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

maybe alfie should leave the sedins right to the end… good way to get 2 of the top scorers on your team, or maybe even force Z into taking one of them!!! that would be pretty funny. And Kessel needs to be he last guy again, or Ovie just cuz he’s Ovie.

2. seaner44 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:01 PM

And that is why no one outside of Boston like Thornton. Classless

• drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Uh, lots of people outside Boston respect Thornton. Including several people who have commented in his threads here.

• svensson1965 - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Only people from Boston think that people outside Boston respect Thornton or any other whiny Bruin for that matter.

• bobwsc - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM

how’s that glass of shut-the-eff up going down Sven?

• gallyhatch - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Wow, I would think at least a couple people in Thornton’s home town would like him. Maybe at least his parents?
      However, not having been everywhere outside of Boston & gotten opinions from everyone outside of Boston like seaner44 apparently has, I will take his word that no one outside of Boston likes Thornton. It’s probably because he’s classless.

Good post.

• mornelithe - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I live in Vermont, and I like Thornton. There goes that theory. Generalizations that you can’t possibly back up, only end up making you look stupid on message boards (and in person to, if you make the same kind of silly statements there).

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I never used to think much of Thronton, but he won my respect after he picked apart that columnist from Vancouver AND scored that beauty goal on a penalty shot within hours of each other. To say nobody outside of Boston likes him is untrue.

• comeonnowguys - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I live way outside Boston and am not a Bruin fan, and I like him.

Just because the “Nobody outside Vancouver and Montreal is rooting for the Canucks” was actually true during the finals last summer means it’s universally applicable to any situation.

3. danphipps01 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

You know, I’ve always seen Thornton as a straight-up, no-bullshit kind of guy. No time wasted chirping or looking for media attention.

Way to lessen yourself, Shawn. You’re better than this petulant shit.

4. salmon90 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

What a clown. This guys been talking a little too much for someone who plays less than 10 minutes a game. Why don’t you leave the all-star talk to the all-stars Thornton.

5. bigtganks - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Again, sore winners.

• danphipps01 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

What I hate about this is the fact that I actually really like the guy and the no-nonsense toughness he brings to the game. He’s a lot like Recchi, albeit nowhere near that good. When Recchi beaked about the ‘Nucks post-retirement, he later came out and clarified his remarks. Didn’t really apologize, and fair enough, you know? But he showed respect by coming back and doing that. Thornton’s just being a shit for no particularly good reason.

• drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I’d call “getting gang-tackled” a fairly good reason.

• mornelithe - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Yeah, I think Drew points out exactly why Thornton feels the way he does. Only the Canucks (Or maybe Montreal) can jump a guy 6-1 (7-1?) and not actually do any serious damage. Turn the tables and you’d probably be seeing a dead Canadian hockey player.

• tfitz - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM

fuck you

• hibackhand - Jan 20, 2012 at 5:52 PM

if you rush the opponent’s bench throwing punches you can expect to be grabbed by everyone around you. doesn’t matter what team.

• tfitz - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I had my account open and one of my buddies typed F##k Y&U post. I can’t figure out how to delete it. I wouldn’t respond with something that stupid.

6. ruddigervancity - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I’m sure the Sedins will be crying themselves to sleep tonight on their huge pillows…/sarcasm

7. bigtganks - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Jack Edwards dog wouldn’t either…

8. bigtganks - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

9. dadawg77 - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I mean who wants the sisters on their team anyways?

• svensson1965 - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Sisters? Huh?

• bobwsc - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

put yourself in the category too, Sally.

• bikey1277 - Jan 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM

funny, I’ve never heard that one before……..wait, I think I did.

10. drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Meh. I think it’s funny. Would you rather hear the usual banalities given by most players in interviews?

11. haterzgonahate - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM

you’d think Vancouver won the cup with all the childish comments coming from the Bruins. grow up FFS

Chara will probably do something stupid like open ice hit one of the Sedins duing the All-star game.

i think i speak for most fans NOT from Boston when i say SHUT THE F**K UP ALREADY!! the horse is dead… quit beating it.

• drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Given your handle and your previous comments, I’m pretty sure most fans from any city would rather you *not* speak for them.

• gallyhatch - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:43 PM

haterzgonahate = best username in the history of usernames.

I was heartbroken when I found out it was already claimed, but considering the clarity and logic I see from haterz on a consistent basis makes me wish I wasn’t from Boston so he could speak for me too!

Seriously, awesome username bro. Pure awesome.

How’s last place in the division treating you?

• comeonnowguys - Jan 24, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Hater, Haters, Haterz has to be one of the lamest comebacks going. It basically says, “I can’t think of a tangible point with which to debate you, so I’m just going to call you something vague and pointless.”

Then again, that’s pretty much how the Internet works, so, carry on.

12. gallyhatch - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:37 PM

The real idiots here are Toucher & Rich (the radio hosts, it’s a very funny show, but they are total idiots, trust me) and the people commenting on this story (yes, I recognize the irony here as I am commenting – I am also an idiot and have nothing better to do with my time)

Thornton is on the show clowning around with the hosts when they ask him a hypothetical question about picking teams in the all-star game. The idea is extra absurd as Thornton would never make the team let alone be the captain. The joke is really about him, and he plays along. It’s not half as malicious as the typical whining commenters on this site make it out to be. (key words in that paragraph – typical whining commenters, if you stick around this site long enough you will know who I am talking about)

If people want this story to go away (I’m looking at you haterz & bigtganks) then stop reading the article, and commenting about how this story won’t go away. It never will until you let it.

• diamonddirtdog - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Oh, thank goodness someone else reading this article actually knows what goes on with T & R. All in good (and idiotic), fun on that show.

13. drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Since no one else has said it–copyediting fail.

14. svensson1965 - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Boston players are idiots. Alfredsson should just leave the Canucks until the end and he’ll get two of the best in the NHL for his last two picks.
    Chara can pick up what’s left over.

• drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM

You’re probably right. The All-Star Game doesn’t require heart, so the Sedins will fit in just fine.

• salmon90 - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

I expect better out of you drew…thats pretty weak no? …..I can anticipate your next comment ‘not as weak as the sisters’ . Bet your mad I thought of it before you.

• bruinzfan77 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Typical comment from a so called hockey fan, Remember that the Bruins are the Defending Stanley Cup Champions and you are just Jealouse because your team does not live up to the hype, Fact of the matter is the Bruins as a team are the classiest hockey players playing right know. They play and support each other as a team. Not like those Habs players that fight during practices. Thornton is a enforcer and thats his job…. The Nucks are a bunch of sissys that won’t stand up for each other, and don’t dare challenge Thornton 1 on 1……. So the only idiot here is you SVENSON1965

15. ikillchicken - Jan 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM

It’s really pretty sad just how desperate the Bruins are to crap on the Canucks. What kind of an inferiority complex must you have to win the cup and yet still feel the need to whine about the team you beat every five minutes?

16. sampsonsimpson - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Its not an inferiority complex at all. The bruins simply don’t agree with the pussy passive flop style of hockey vancouver plays. Its disgraceful to the game. The bruins play with passion, heart, and toughness not flopping and whining like vancouver and montreal. The bruins are champs for a reason.

• salmon90 - Jan 19, 2012 at 10:27 PM

you made me do it sampson,,,I didn’t want to but here it is again.

• blkeskimo1785 - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:09 PM

F*cking hilarious.

• bruinzfan77 - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Well said sampsonsimpson.. I agree totally…..

• bigtganks - Jan 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

See below…

17. spokedjackets - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Love people who claim beating a dead horse, and yet continue to comment. All I hear from them is cup envy.

18. pastabelly - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Thornton was having some fun and some here are taking him too seriously.

19. jrocknstuff - Jan 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Last year Kessel got a car for being picked last, so I’m sure he wouldn’t mind being picked last again. I heard an interview with Wideman where he said he would take it in a heartbeat.

20. cshearing - Jan 20, 2012 at 8:29 AM

First off, this was a joke on a radio show, and then there’s hatred spewing back & forth over it? Pathetic from both sides. Personally, I think the comments here would improve greatly if both Canucks and Bruins homers would STFU about it and just talk some hockey. This site is becoming Bruins vs Canucks central, and it’s getting tiresome.

21. redrew - Jan 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Kessel and Vancouver have much in common….Both are soft as hell and the rest of the league understands what limp wristed frauds they are. Euro hockey at its best….and the pussification of Canada continues

22. blomfeld - Jan 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM

BACK OFF YOU CANUCK HATERS !

sorry to burst your bubble, all you big “tough” Boston supporters … but the fact of the matter is that the Canucks play with way more fire and passion than your Tinker Bell Bruins ! … they always have and they always will … and sooner or later you people will come to realize that …

Canucks practice yesterday at Rogers Arena (Jan 19th)

23. nuckss - Jan 20, 2012 at 2:10 PM

This is funny. I can’t believe he is still going on about Vancouver. I didn’t realise he cared so much.

I like how during the ambush of Tony Gallagher Thornton claimed that he fought seven Canucks at once!

There were only two fights in that game and they were Weise/Horton and Campbell/Lapierre. I checked hockeyfights.com and I don’t see any record of Thornton fighting anyone. I guess I can call the few times I was pushing and shoving with some players in my game last night “fights”.

• pastabelly - Jan 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Moron, I guess you didn’t see when the cowardnucks ganged up to fight him 7 on 1 or the other instance when one of them asked him to dropped his gloves and slinked away. Vancouver is despicable. Even the Canadiens hate them.

24. F4S Leigh - Jan 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

@pasta – don’t let the facts, as stated by your beloved Bruins, get in the way of a reasoned discussion about any of the goings on in that game.

Anticipated reply: “the facts are your Canucks are gutless whiners who do nothing but dive and bite fingers. Oh, and we won the cup”.

*yawn*

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches