Jan 19, 2012, 11:07 AM EST
But seriously, he’s pretty upset.
“It’s frustrating because I think my play over the past 10 games has been good enough to where they should cease a little bit and there should be some protection there,” said Ryan, as per the Orange County Register.
“It’s the nature of the business I guess. We’re still a team that’s (12) points out of the playoffs. We didn’t have a good first half and set ourselves so far behind the eight-ball.”
You can understand Ryan’s frustration, though to be fair to all the good and respectable trade rumor-mongers, the speculation isn’t restricted to his last 10 games. There’s a bigger picture. If the Ducks want to retain the services of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry for the long run, they might have to make some tough budget decisions.
Ryan would be an extremely valuable commodity on the trade market because 1) he’s a 24-year-old that’s already scored 30-plus goals three times, and 2) he’s signed until 2015 at a manageable $5.1 million cap hit.
Ryan could feasibly provide a superior return to Getzlaf or Perry, each of whom is only signed until the end of the next season. Therefore, a team would have no guarantee of keeping Getzlaf or Perry past 2012-13 if it rolled the dice on a trade. Not to mention, they’d command a far higher salary than Ryan’s being paid once their contracts expired.
Of course, there’s also good reason for the Ducks to hold on to Ryan. To repeat: 1) he’s a 24-year-old that’s already scored 30-plus goals three times, and 2) he’s signed until 2015 at a manageable $5.1 million cap hit.
And given Teemu Selanne is 41 with no guarantee he’ll keep playing past this season and Saku Koivu, 37, a pending UFA, why would Anaheim trade away an offensive talent like Ryan? Especially if he’s getting along with his new coach better than he reportedly did with his old coach.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)