Jan 19, 2012, 11:07 AM EDT
But seriously, he’s pretty upset.
“It’s frustrating because I think my play over the past 10 games has been good enough to where they should cease a little bit and there should be some protection there,” said Ryan, as per the Orange County Register.
“It’s the nature of the business I guess. We’re still a team that’s (12) points out of the playoffs. We didn’t have a good first half and set ourselves so far behind the eight-ball.”
You can understand Ryan’s frustration, though to be fair to all the good and respectable trade rumor-mongers, the speculation isn’t restricted to his last 10 games. There’s a bigger picture. If the Ducks want to retain the services of Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry for the long run, they might have to make some tough budget decisions.
Ryan would be an extremely valuable commodity on the trade market because 1) he’s a 24-year-old that’s already scored 30-plus goals three times, and 2) he’s signed until 2015 at a manageable $5.1 million cap hit.
Ryan could feasibly provide a superior return to Getzlaf or Perry, each of whom is only signed until the end of the next season. Therefore, a team would have no guarantee of keeping Getzlaf or Perry past 2012-13 if it rolled the dice on a trade. Not to mention, they’d command a far higher salary than Ryan’s being paid once their contracts expired.
Of course, there’s also good reason for the Ducks to hold on to Ryan. To repeat: 1) he’s a 24-year-old that’s already scored 30-plus goals three times, and 2) he’s signed until 2015 at a manageable $5.1 million cap hit.
And given Teemu Selanne is 41 with no guarantee he’ll keep playing past this season and Saku Koivu, 37, a pending UFA, why would Anaheim trade away an offensive talent like Ryan? Especially if he’s getting along with his new coach better than he reportedly did with his old coach.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 9
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 68
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)