Jan 19, 2012, 7:30 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Sure he doesn’t have Shea Weber‘s looming size, booming shot or kabooming hits, but there are some who believe that Ryan Suter might be more important to the Nashville Predators than his attention-grabbing partner. (Section 303)
I haven’t seen a story about the historical ramifications of this, but John Erskine received a triple-minor penalty in Washington’s 3-0 win against Montreal last night. He received a double-minor for high-sticking and a single minor for elbowing. It’s a solid testament to the Habs’ futile power play that the Capitals still left the game with a shutout, though.
How different are the Capitals under Dale Hunter, really? (CSNWashington.com)
Mike Boone says that you “had to stay up late to gauge precisely how bad things are for your Montreal Canadiens.” I prefer broad strokes rather than precise aims, however, so I’ll just tab things as “really bad” for now. (Habs Inside/Out)
The Carolina Hurricanes made a trade with the Florida Panthers that includes Evgeni Dadonov, who better be known as “Big daddy” if that isn’t already his nickname.* (Hurricanes)
Click on the link to read Brian Burke’s “Ally Award” acceptance speech. (Maple Leafs)
Finally, here’s something from then “I totally meant to do that” department: Western Michigan’s fake/double slap shot:
* – What’s the deal with people calling each other “Big daddy,” by the way? That’s one creepy term of endearment.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5