Jan 19, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Sure he doesn’t have Shea Weber‘s looming size, booming shot or kabooming hits, but there are some who believe that Ryan Suter might be more important to the Nashville Predators than his attention-grabbing partner. (Section 303)
I haven’t seen a story about the historical ramifications of this, but John Erskine received a triple-minor penalty in Washington’s 3-0 win against Montreal last night. He received a double-minor for high-sticking and a single minor for elbowing. It’s a solid testament to the Habs’ futile power play that the Capitals still left the game with a shutout, though.
How different are the Capitals under Dale Hunter, really? (CSNWashington.com)
Mike Boone says that you “had to stay up late to gauge precisely how bad things are for your Montreal Canadiens.” I prefer broad strokes rather than precise aims, however, so I’ll just tab things as “really bad” for now. (Habs Inside/Out)
The Carolina Hurricanes made a trade with the Florida Panthers that includes Evgeni Dadonov, who better be known as “Big daddy” if that isn’t already his nickname.* (Hurricanes)
Click on the link to read Brian Burke’s “Ally Award” acceptance speech. (Maple Leafs)
Finally, here’s something from then “I totally meant to do that” department: Western Michigan’s fake/double slap shot:
* – What’s the deal with people calling each other “Big daddy,” by the way? That’s one creepy term of endearment.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 34
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 31
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 26
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35