Jan 19, 2012, 7:30 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Sure he doesn’t have Shea Weber‘s looming size, booming shot or kabooming hits, but there are some who believe that Ryan Suter might be more important to the Nashville Predators than his attention-grabbing partner. (Section 303)
I haven’t seen a story about the historical ramifications of this, but John Erskine received a triple-minor penalty in Washington’s 3-0 win against Montreal last night. He received a double-minor for high-sticking and a single minor for elbowing. It’s a solid testament to the Habs’ futile power play that the Capitals still left the game with a shutout, though.
How different are the Capitals under Dale Hunter, really? (CSNWashington.com)
Mike Boone says that you “had to stay up late to gauge precisely how bad things are for your Montreal Canadiens.” I prefer broad strokes rather than precise aims, however, so I’ll just tab things as “really bad” for now. (Habs Inside/Out)
The Carolina Hurricanes made a trade with the Florida Panthers that includes Evgeni Dadonov, who better be known as “Big daddy” if that isn’t already his nickname.* (Hurricanes)
Click on the link to read Brian Burke’s “Ally Award” acceptance speech. (Maple Leafs)
Finally, here’s something from then “I totally meant to do that” department: Western Michigan’s fake/double slap shot:
* – What’s the deal with people calling each other “Big daddy,” by the way? That’s one creepy term of endearment.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 0
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7