Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made two moves today to bolster their depth at forward, acquiring Brandon Yip off waivers from Colorado and activating Jerred Smithson off injured reserve.
Yip — who played at Boston University with current NHLers Matt Gilroy, Kevin Shattenkirk, Nick Bonino and Nashville’s very own Colin Wilson — fell out of favor with the Avs this year, playing in just 10 games while dealing with a myriad of arm and groin injuries.
When he’s healthy, Yip can be a solid contributor, as evidenced by his 12 goals and 10 assists in 71 games last season.
Smithson returns to the Nashville lineup after missing the last five games with a lower-body injury. The 32-year-old RW has 1G-3A-4PTS in 41 games this year and could be in the lineup tonight against Columbus.
“I feel good. Took a few days to let it heal,” Smithson told The Tennessean. “I’m ready to play, whenever they want me.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)