Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made two moves today to bolster their depth at forward, acquiring Brandon Yip off waivers from Colorado and activating Jerred Smithson off injured reserve.
Yip — who played at Boston University with current NHLers Matt Gilroy, Kevin Shattenkirk, Nick Bonino and Nashville’s very own Colin Wilson — fell out of favor with the Avs this year, playing in just 10 games while dealing with a myriad of arm and groin injuries.
When he’s healthy, Yip can be a solid contributor, as evidenced by his 12 goals and 10 assists in 71 games last season.
Smithson returns to the Nashville lineup after missing the last five games with a lower-body injury. The 32-year-old RW has 1G-3A-4PTS in 41 games this year and could be in the lineup tonight against Columbus.
“I feel good. Took a few days to let it heal,” Smithson told The Tennessean. “I’m ready to play, whenever they want me.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)