Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators made two moves today to bolster their depth at forward, acquiring Brandon Yip off waivers from Colorado and activating Jerred Smithson off injured reserve.
Yip — who played at Boston University with current NHLers Matt Gilroy, Kevin Shattenkirk, Nick Bonino and Nashville’s very own Colin Wilson — fell out of favor with the Avs this year, playing in just 10 games while dealing with a myriad of arm and groin injuries.
When he’s healthy, Yip can be a solid contributor, as evidenced by his 12 goals and 10 assists in 71 games last season.
Smithson returns to the Nashville lineup after missing the last five games with a lower-body injury. The 32-year-old RW has 1G-3A-4PTS in 41 games this year and could be in the lineup tonight against Columbus.
“I feel good. Took a few days to let it heal,” Smithson told The Tennessean. “I’m ready to play, whenever they want me.”
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5