Jan 19, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
The Nashville Predators made two moves today to bolster their depth at forward, acquiring Brandon Yip off waivers from Colorado and activating Jerred Smithson off injured reserve.
Yip — who played at Boston University with current NHLers Matt Gilroy, Kevin Shattenkirk, Nick Bonino and Nashville’s very own Colin Wilson — fell out of favor with the Avs this year, playing in just 10 games while dealing with a myriad of arm and groin injuries.
When he’s healthy, Yip can be a solid contributor, as evidenced by his 12 goals and 10 assists in 71 games last season.
Smithson returns to the Nashville lineup after missing the last five games with a lower-body injury. The 32-year-old RW has 1G-3A-4PTS in 41 games this year and could be in the lineup tonight against Columbus.
“I feel good. Took a few days to let it heal,” Smithson told The Tennessean. “I’m ready to play, whenever they want me.”
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 13
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 11
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 60
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (60)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)