Marchand back from ban, hopes to help stumbling B’s

Jan 19, 2012, 12:13 PM EST

Brad Marchand Getty Images

With outright losses in two of their last three games, the Boston Bruins will welcome back a key member of the lineup tonight in New Jersey.

Brad Marchand has served his five-game suspension for clipping Vancouver’s Sami Salo and is looking forward to helping the B’s get back on track.

“It’s always tough to watch the team play. It’s frustrating. But it’s nice the five games are over with and I’ll just jump back in to help out any way I can,” Marchand said yesterday, as per NECN.com. “I wouldn’t say we’re in a lull or a rough spot. A lot of guys are playing a lot of minutes and the schedule can be a little tough at times. But we’re ready to go tomorrow.

“I just want to create energy like I try to do and continue to play my game. Hopefully I get the chemistry back with [Patrice] Bergeron and [Tyler] Seguin if I’m playing with them tomorrow.”

No doubt Marchand receives the most attention for his, ahem, style of play; however, the 23-year-old is also on pace for 30-plus goals, so clearly his talents go beyond agitating.

You actually wonder if the Bruins will at some point (or perhaps they already have) sit down with Marchand and remind him that they’re a lesser team when he’s watching from the press box, so while they won’t want him to stop bringing energy, maybe be more cognizant of the fine line between energy and idiot.

1. canucks18 - Jan 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

And this is what these agitators with talent should ALL be concentrated on…

• drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Agitators do help their teams, usually. If they’re facing a good team, the agitator helps by trying to get that team off its game. And sometimes it works. However, if the agitator gets suspended or sits in the box a lot, that’s a sign the agitator needs to change his game. Kudos for not boarding people and causing concussions, Marchand, but take the slew-foots and clips out of your game, since they’re now going to be called.

• drewzducks - Jan 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Agreed 100%. Guy is on pace for 50 goals in first 2 years but when he plays over the edge he does more harm then good.

• danphipps01 - Jan 19, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Yup. He’s a very talented player with a potent presence on the attack and the ability to play the PK as well. That he plays with an edge is great, but only when he doesn’t fuck his own team over. If Marchand can learn how to stay within the lines (as opposed to not only careening over them, but then saying publically that the League disciplinarians don’t know the rules when they suspend him for it), he’ll become a fantastic asset. One could argue he already is, but imagine how much better he’d be if he weren’t doing stupid shit like that. Scary thought.

2. koyoteken - Jan 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM

I don’t care what anybody says, Marchands punching of one of the Sedin sisters like she was a rag doll in last years finals was the funniest thing ever!!

• elvispocomo - Jan 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I’m not sure you’ve grasped the bigger picture…

• 8man - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

The bigger picture is that one of the Sedin sisters got punched around like Raggedy Ann.

3. imleftcoast - Jan 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Repeat offender. No doubt he’ll get another 5 games before the year is out.

For the knowledge of all the fair weather Boston fans (are there any other?), Salo is still out with the concussion you claimed the Canucks were faking in order to get rat face suspended. Not that Shanahan or anyone else in the league bought your b.s., but just to be clear.

• elvispocomo - Jan 19, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Yup, he started the return from concussion protocol this week (on Tues/Wed?) so would be ready at earliest by the time the All Start break hits. I’d rather Marchand had taken the should to shoulder hit and stayed in the game than have Salo out with a concussion.

Salo might have an extensive injury history, but most of them only keep him out a game or two before he returns, last thing he needs is to have concussion problems.

• drewsylvania - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Yeah, I was wrong about the faking–the way he skated off, it looked like he was faking to me. But obviously he wasn’t.

But I’ve been with the Bruins when they were in last. I’m hardly a fair weather fan.

• imleftcoast - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Fair comment Drew.

• ikillchicken - Jan 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Gotta say, I definitely respect that you’re willing to admit you were wrong about this.

• elvispocomo - Jan 19, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Horton was due to be back quicker than Salo after his concussion in the SCF last year, BTW. HE almost could have played again in the series.

Not that either injury is better than the other, just less worse, and much less worse than many of the ones we’re seeing the results of now.

• 8man - Jan 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I’ve been a Bruins fan since there were only 17 teams in the league. It’s PHT I’m not real big on.

• cmdaw - Jan 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM

What about all the Bruins fans that fit neither of your criteria? There are plenty that have followed the team regardless of their standings and plenty that agreed that the hit was bad…

4. bostonsfullofrats - Jan 20, 2012 at 1:08 AM

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches