Jan 19, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Every off-season has at least a handful of fork-in-the-road moments that lead you to ask “What if?”
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater captures one of those scenarios for the Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche’s netminding rotations. Jose Theodore admitted that he almost returned to Colorado to back up Semyon Varlamov before the team ultimately went with another former award-winning goalie in Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
That pivotal moment is working out surprisingly well for both sides.
Theodore has surprised as the Panthers’ No. 1 goalie, going 14-8-5 with a .918 save percentage and 2.48 GAA with two shutouts.
Giguere might be the backup in Colorado, but he’s shown plenty of glimpses of that old Conn Smythe Trophy-winning form. Jiggy is 11-6-1 with oustanding individual numbers: a .923 save percentage and 2.12 GAA with one shutout.
It’s fascinating to imagine how different both the goalies’ and teams’ situations would be like if Giguere didn’t sign that contract with Colorado. In a rare instance for these scenarios, it’s likely that all parties are glad it happened exactly the way it did.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 38
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 34
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 30
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (39)