Jan 19, 2012, 7:48 PM EST
Every off-season has at least a handful of fork-in-the-road moments that lead you to ask “What if?”
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater captures one of those scenarios for the Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche’s netminding rotations. Jose Theodore admitted that he almost returned to Colorado to back up Semyon Varlamov before the team ultimately went with another former award-winning goalie in Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
That pivotal moment is working out surprisingly well for both sides.
Theodore has surprised as the Panthers’ No. 1 goalie, going 14-8-5 with a .918 save percentage and 2.48 GAA with two shutouts.
Giguere might be the backup in Colorado, but he’s shown plenty of glimpses of that old Conn Smythe Trophy-winning form. Jiggy is 11-6-1 with oustanding individual numbers: a .923 save percentage and 2.12 GAA with one shutout.
It’s fascinating to imagine how different both the goalies’ and teams’ situations would be like if Giguere didn’t sign that contract with Colorado. In a rare instance for these scenarios, it’s likely that all parties are glad it happened exactly the way it did.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 3
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)