Jan 19, 2012, 7:48 PM EDT
Every off-season has at least a handful of fork-in-the-road moments that lead you to ask “What if?”
The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater captures one of those scenarios for the Florida Panthers and Colorado Avalanche’s netminding rotations. Jose Theodore admitted that he almost returned to Colorado to back up Semyon Varlamov before the team ultimately went with another former award-winning goalie in Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
That pivotal moment is working out surprisingly well for both sides.
Theodore has surprised as the Panthers’ No. 1 goalie, going 14-8-5 with a .918 save percentage and 2.48 GAA with two shutouts.
Giguere might be the backup in Colorado, but he’s shown plenty of glimpses of that old Conn Smythe Trophy-winning form. Jiggy is 11-6-1 with oustanding individual numbers: a .923 save percentage and 2.12 GAA with one shutout.
It’s fascinating to imagine how different both the goalies’ and teams’ situations would be like if Giguere didn’t sign that contract with Colorado. In a rare instance for these scenarios, it’s likely that all parties are glad it happened exactly the way it did.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)