Jan 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
With a rocky first half of the season behind them and their playoff chances fading away, the Montreal Canadiens may be looking to the future.
But will that future include current General Manager Pierre Gauthier?
That’s the question TSN’s Darren Dreger is asking as the Habs face the prospect of no playoffs for the first time in five years. Gauthier has been under fire throughout the season because of his contentious moves — firing assistant coach Perry Pearn, acquiring Tomas Kaberle and Rene Bourque, replacing Jacques Martin with Randy Cunneyworth — and is in danger of losing Montreal’s coveted GM job, one he’s held since Feb. 2010.
So, the question: If Gauthier was gassed, who would replace him?
Dreger says there are plenty of candidates.
Julien BriseBois: The 33-year-old currently serves as Steve Yzerman’s assistant GM in Tampa Bay, but used to be the Canadiens Director of Hockey Ops and GM of their AHL affiliate in Hamilton. He’s also a graduate of the Montreal University Faculty of Law.
Doug Risebrough: The former GM in Calgary and Minnesota won four Stanley Cups with the Canadiens in the late 70s.
Claude Loiselle: The current assistant to Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, Loiselle also served in the same assistant GM capacity with Tampa Bay and as Associate Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL.
Other names Dreger included in the mix include former Toronto GM John Ferguson Jr., current NBC NHL analyst Pierre McGuire and Marc Bergevin, Chicago’s 46-year-old assistant GM that retired from playing just prior to the lockout.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)