Jan 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
With a rocky first half of the season behind them and their playoff chances fading away, the Montreal Canadiens may be looking to the future.
But will that future include current General Manager Pierre Gauthier?
That’s the question TSN’s Darren Dreger is asking as the Habs face the prospect of no playoffs for the first time in five years. Gauthier has been under fire throughout the season because of his contentious moves — firing assistant coach Perry Pearn, acquiring Tomas Kaberle and Rene Bourque, replacing Jacques Martin with Randy Cunneyworth — and is in danger of losing Montreal’s coveted GM job, one he’s held since Feb. 2010.
So, the question: If Gauthier was gassed, who would replace him?
Dreger says there are plenty of candidates.
Julien BriseBois: The 33-year-old currently serves as Steve Yzerman’s assistant GM in Tampa Bay, but used to be the Canadiens Director of Hockey Ops and GM of their AHL affiliate in Hamilton. He’s also a graduate of the Montreal University Faculty of Law.
Doug Risebrough: The former GM in Calgary and Minnesota won four Stanley Cups with the Canadiens in the late 70s.
Claude Loiselle: The current assistant to Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, Loiselle also served in the same assistant GM capacity with Tampa Bay and as Associate Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL.
Other names Dreger included in the mix include former Toronto GM John Ferguson Jr., current NBC NHL analyst Pierre McGuire and Marc Bergevin, Chicago’s 46-year-old assistant GM that retired from playing just prior to the lockout.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)