Jan 19, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
With a rocky first half of the season behind them and their playoff chances fading away, the Montreal Canadiens may be looking to the future.
But will that future include current General Manager Pierre Gauthier?
That’s the question TSN’s Darren Dreger is asking as the Habs face the prospect of no playoffs for the first time in five years. Gauthier has been under fire throughout the season because of his contentious moves — firing assistant coach Perry Pearn, acquiring Tomas Kaberle and Rene Bourque, replacing Jacques Martin with Randy Cunneyworth — and is in danger of losing Montreal’s coveted GM job, one he’s held since Feb. 2010.
So, the question: If Gauthier was gassed, who would replace him?
Dreger says there are plenty of candidates.
Julien BriseBois: The 33-year-old currently serves as Steve Yzerman’s assistant GM in Tampa Bay, but used to be the Canadiens Director of Hockey Ops and GM of their AHL affiliate in Hamilton. He’s also a graduate of the Montreal University Faculty of Law.
Doug Risebrough: The former GM in Calgary and Minnesota won four Stanley Cups with the Canadiens in the late 70s.
Claude Loiselle: The current assistant to Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, Loiselle also served in the same assistant GM capacity with Tampa Bay and as Associate Director of Hockey Operations for the NHL.
Other names Dreger included in the mix include former Toronto GM John Ferguson Jr., current NBC NHL analyst Pierre McGuire and Marc Bergevin, Chicago’s 46-year-old assistant GM that retired from playing just prior to the lockout.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)