Jan 19, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
The NHL has been stuck in limbo with the Phoenix Coyotes sale for long enough that it’s almost hard to believe that a resolution might ever happen. If you read a bit into Gary Bettman’s comments from last night, then you might just believe that an answer could come soon, though.
Bettman spoke with Anaheim-area media* Wednesday regarding a variety of issues, but amid all the cryptic comments, the Coyotes bits carried an air of exhaustion. Let’s pick apart the juiciest bits.
When asked about the possible owners “on the back burner” in Phoenix, here is what Bettman had to say:
“Nothing imminent,” Bettman said. “But it’s still being worked on. It’s still a work in progress and there’s no significant development that I’m in position to report.”
Ouch. It almost sounds like there’s not a shiny new Matt Hulsizer/Jerry Reinsdorf to shake in front of people to distract them from the undesirable situation. When Bettman was asked if he wanted to bring the situation “to a conclusion” in Phoenix, he had this to say:
“Our goal is to bring it to a conclusion in Phoenix,” Bettman said. “If, in fact, we don’t have an alternative, we’ll deal with it. But we’re not at that point.”
Naturally, that brings us to a crucial question: when will the NHL reach that point? Honestly, many of us believed it reached the point of no return at least a couple times before, yet some last minute twist – good or bad – always seemed to come along.
The difference is, this time around, Bettman kind-of-sort-of admits that it all might wind down in the very near future.
“If I were speculating, that would be my guess and at some point, if we can’t get it resolved for next year, then obviously I think we’ll have to consider our alternatives—but that’s not new news.”
It’s true, this isn’t really “new news,” but it all feels a little different coming from Bettman’s mouth.
So, let me ask: Are these quotes a sign that things are moving in the wrong direction – as in, away from Phoenix – or are they really no big deal? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments.
* – Including PHT’s own Matt Reitz.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 10
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 51
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (38)