Jan 19, 2012, 11:42 PM EDT
Jaroslav Halak is red-hot right now, although you’d be silly to ignore the suffocating St. Louis system when lauding his work. He’s now working on a two-game shutout streak after blanking the Dallas Stars (22 saves) on Monday and handing the Edmonton Oilers a 1-0 goose egg (15 stops) tonight.
That’s impressive work and it only gets better when you consider the fact that Halak has three shutouts in his last four games. Halak hasn’t lost a regulation game since Nov. 22, going 10-0-3 since that defeat.
Yup, he’s on a roll, but his teammates and Ken Hitchcock deserve a huge “assist.” The Blues jumped back to first place in the Western Conference and Central Division, but much like their game-to-game triumphs, there isn’t much breathing room between St. Louis and its rivals.
Check out highlights from the game in which Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 37 out of 38 shots but still lost:
If the Blues have any reason to be a little anxious even amid their great successes, Jeremy Rutherford provides it with this jaw-dropping Tweet:
So, should this be proof that the Blues are for real or concern that they can’t finish opponents off?
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 6
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)