Jan 19, 2012, 10:22 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils fell 4-1 to the Boston Bruins tonight, but that might not have been their biggest loss.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello announced that Henrik Tallinder will miss six-to-eight weeks with “acute thrombophlebitis of the lower left leg,” which is swelling in the vein due to a blood clot, according to Tom Gulitti.
Gulitti reports that Tallinder & Co. don’t know what exactly caused the problem, as he was dealing with some pain in his leg that grew bad enough to justify the MRI that identified the issue.
Tallinder has six points (all assists) and a -11 rating in 39 games this season. He’s averaging 21:19 minutes of ice time per contest, so the Devils will need to make a tough choice or two to replace him for however long he’s out.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 25
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 27
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 83
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (85)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2