Jan 19, 2012, 10:22 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils fell 4-1 to the Boston Bruins tonight, but that might not have been their biggest loss.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello announced that Henrik Tallinder will miss six-to-eight weeks with “acute thrombophlebitis of the lower left leg,” which is swelling in the vein due to a blood clot, according to Tom Gulitti.
Gulitti reports that Tallinder & Co. don’t know what exactly caused the problem, as he was dealing with some pain in his leg that grew bad enough to justify the MRI that identified the issue.
Tallinder has six points (all assists) and a -11 rating in 39 games this season. He’s averaging 21:19 minutes of ice time per contest, so the Devils will need to make a tough choice or two to replace him for however long he’s out.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (71)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)