Jan 19, 2012, 10:22 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils fell 4-1 to the Boston Bruins tonight, but that might not have been their biggest loss.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello announced that Henrik Tallinder will miss six-to-eight weeks with “acute thrombophlebitis of the lower left leg,” which is swelling in the vein due to a blood clot, according to Tom Gulitti.
Gulitti reports that Tallinder & Co. don’t know what exactly caused the problem, as he was dealing with some pain in his leg that grew bad enough to justify the MRI that identified the issue.
Tallinder has six points (all assists) and a -11 rating in 39 games this season. He’s averaging 21:19 minutes of ice time per contest, so the Devils will need to make a tough choice or two to replace him for however long he’s out.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (51)