Jan 19, 2012, 10:22 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils fell 4-1 to the Boston Bruins tonight, but that might not have been their biggest loss.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello announced that Henrik Tallinder will miss six-to-eight weeks with “acute thrombophlebitis of the lower left leg,” which is swelling in the vein due to a blood clot, according to Tom Gulitti.
Gulitti reports that Tallinder & Co. don’t know what exactly caused the problem, as he was dealing with some pain in his leg that grew bad enough to justify the MRI that identified the issue.
Tallinder has six points (all assists) and a -11 rating in 39 games this season. He’s averaging 21:19 minutes of ice time per contest, so the Devils will need to make a tough choice or two to replace him for however long he’s out.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (79)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)