Jan 19, 2012, 10:49 AM EST
Aftonbladet spoke with Backstrom — who hasn’t played since Jan. 3 after being hit in the head by then-Flames forward Rene Bourque — about his status, how he’s feeling and what the worst part of his recovery has been.
[Note: These are from an English translation of a piece that originally appeared in Swedish.]
— Backstrom’s listed as day-to-day (“as they say over here,” he noted) but hasn’t had much discussion with Washington brass about returning to the ice.
— He’d “be lying” if he said he’s feeling 100 percent, but claims he’s no longer suffering from headaches and nausea.
— Sounds like Backstrom’s been isolated from the team as he’s not even attending Caps home games at the Verizon Center, instead watching them from home.
That last note seems to have affected Backstrom more than anything.
“The only thing I can do is to just lie here on the couch and try to get better,” he said. “It’s incredibly frustrating, I get so restless, my body just itches to do something. But there’s nothing else to do but wait.”
Backstrom has 13G-29A-42PTS this season and is still Washington’s leading scorer despite missing the last seven games.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 33
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)