Jan 19, 2012, 10:49 AM EDT
Aftonbladet spoke with Backstrom — who hasn’t played since Jan. 3 after being hit in the head by then-Flames forward Rene Bourque — about his status, how he’s feeling and what the worst part of his recovery has been.
[Note: These are from an English translation of a piece that originally appeared in Swedish.]
– Backstrom’s listed as day-to-day (“as they say over here,” he noted) but hasn’t had much discussion with Washington brass about returning to the ice.
– He’d “be lying” if he said he’s feeling 100 percent, but claims he’s no longer suffering from headaches and nausea.
– Sounds like Backstrom’s been isolated from the team as he’s not even attending Caps home games at the Verizon Center, instead watching them from home.
That last note seems to have affected Backstrom more than anything.
“The only thing I can do is to just lie here on the couch and try to get better,” he said. “It’s incredibly frustrating, I get so restless, my body just itches to do something. But there’s nothing else to do but wait.”
Backstrom has 13G-29A-42PTS this season and is still Washington’s leading scorer despite missing the last seven games.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 12
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)