Jan 18, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
One guy the Capitals can’t blame for their middling play this season is defenseman Tom Poti.
Poti has been out of action since last January with a groin strain and Caps GM George McPhee tells Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider that the Caps aren’t counting on him coming back anytime this season.
“Tom’s been working at it and improving but I don’t know if he’ll ever get to the point where he can play again,” McPhee told reporters Tuesday. “As I said in the summer, we weren’t counting on it.”
Poti’s groin troubles have to give the Capitals pause, thanks to Mike Green‘s poor groin health .Green’s groin injury kept him out of action for a fair share of time this season and was initially labeled as being “significant” when it occurred. He’s now out indefinitely after undergoing sports hernia surgery.
For what it’s worth, Poti is under contract with the Caps through the 2012-2013 season with a cap hit of $2.875 million. That’s a lot of cap space not being put to good use.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 25
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)