Jan 18, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
One guy the Capitals can’t blame for their middling play this season is defenseman Tom Poti.
Poti has been out of action since last January with a groin strain and Caps GM George McPhee tells Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider that the Caps aren’t counting on him coming back anytime this season.
“Tom’s been working at it and improving but I don’t know if he’ll ever get to the point where he can play again,” McPhee told reporters Tuesday. “As I said in the summer, we weren’t counting on it.”
Poti’s groin troubles have to give the Capitals pause, thanks to Mike Green‘s poor groin health .Green’s groin injury kept him out of action for a fair share of time this season and was initially labeled as being “significant” when it occurred. He’s now out indefinitely after undergoing sports hernia surgery.
For what it’s worth, Poti is under contract with the Caps through the 2012-2013 season with a cap hit of $2.875 million. That’s a lot of cap space not being put to good use.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 40
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 40
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)