Jan 18, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
One guy the Capitals can’t blame for their middling play this season is defenseman Tom Poti.
Poti has been out of action since last January with a groin strain and Caps GM George McPhee tells Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider that the Caps aren’t counting on him coming back anytime this season.
“Tom’s been working at it and improving but I don’t know if he’ll ever get to the point where he can play again,” McPhee told reporters Tuesday. “As I said in the summer, we weren’t counting on it.”
Poti’s groin troubles have to give the Capitals pause, thanks to Mike Green‘s poor groin health .Green’s groin injury kept him out of action for a fair share of time this season and was initially labeled as being “significant” when it occurred. He’s now out indefinitely after undergoing sports hernia surgery.
For what it’s worth, Poti is under contract with the Caps through the 2012-2013 season with a cap hit of $2.875 million. That’s a lot of cap space not being put to good use.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)