Jan 18, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
One guy the Capitals can’t blame for their middling play this season is defenseman Tom Poti.
Poti has been out of action since last January with a groin strain and Caps GM George McPhee tells Katie Carrera of Capitals Insider that the Caps aren’t counting on him coming back anytime this season.
“Tom’s been working at it and improving but I don’t know if he’ll ever get to the point where he can play again,” McPhee told reporters Tuesday. “As I said in the summer, we weren’t counting on it.”
Poti’s groin troubles have to give the Capitals pause, thanks to Mike Green‘s poor groin health .Green’s groin injury kept him out of action for a fair share of time this season and was initially labeled as being “significant” when it occurred. He’s now out indefinitely after undergoing sports hernia surgery.
For what it’s worth, Poti is under contract with the Caps through the 2012-2013 season with a cap hit of $2.875 million. That’s a lot of cap space not being put to good use.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)