Rangers’ owner James Dolan: “I think we’re pretty close”

Jan 18, 2012, 12:33 AM EDT

James Dolan AP

Shutouts are becoming common Broadway these days. On Tuesday night, Henrik Lundqvist pitched his fourth shutout of the season – and the sixth shutout for the Rangers this season. But a far rarer occasion greeted members of the media after the game: Rangers’ owner James Dolan spoke to the Rangers media.

It’s peculiar that a shutout in January against the Nashville Predators would pull Dolan into the spotlight. Dolan hasn’t formally addressed the Rangers media in six seasons—so when he speaks, it tends to get people’s attention. He didn’t disappoint.

“… Glen [Sather] and I made a pact,” Dolan told members of the media. “I gave him something, which I won’t reveal today, but I gave him something to seal the pact. I said ‘You can’t give it back to me until we win the Stanley Cup.’ And I think we’re pretty close to getting that thing back.”

But wait, there’s more. Aside from telling the world that he thinks the Rangers are “pretty close” to winning the Cup, he went on to wax poetically about the greatness of general manager Glen Sather:

“For me it’s all about the system he built — of course its great coaching — but it’s about the farm system, the scouting system and the development — going with kids — and sticking with that philosophy even at times when it didn’t look so good.” Dolan told reporters. “So, I’m very proud of him and the organization.”

Predictably, John Tortorella brought the hammer down after Dolan’s lofty comments. “I have my owner up here talking about a Stanley Cup. That’s a bunch of bull—-. We need to take one game at a time.”

In summation: the Rangers owner thinks his team is close to winning the Stanley Cup, he thinks his general manager put together a great organization from top to bottom, and John Tortorella is still awesome.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
  1. vismund11 - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Gotta respect Tortorella on that comment. No matter how good you are now, playoffs are a different story.

2. nhlbruins90 - Jan 18, 2012 at 1:32 AM

They got a good thing going. Tell the owner to shut up lest he f**k it up.

• nhlbruins90 - Jan 18, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Now that I think about it, as a B’s fan, why not let the motor mouth ramble on for a while longer.

3. tmjm621 - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:18 AM

The owner shouldnt do that…torts is such a prick. I could never play for him id end up hitting im in the throat with my stick

4. murtdurt - Jan 18, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Uh oh! I smell a first round exit now.. He hasn’t been in front of the media in 6 years and he decides now’s a good time to drop that?? I think the rest of the east just got bulletin board material. Also, you haven’t won anything! If they keep it up maybe the presidents trophy…ask the Canucks how many rings they hand out for that trophy. Gotta love torts honesty there

5. billsin20xx - Jan 18, 2012 at 8:12 AM

PUT A HEX ON DOLAN AND HIS ENTIRE EMPIRE!!!

Sorry, till he actually negotiates with Time Warner and Dish to get MSG back on air I can only hope the for the worst for him, his family, his pets and anybody who calls him a friend!!!

LOL

6. solador78 - Jan 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM

“I’m not sure if MSG got together with the refs or what to turn this into a Stanley Cup run,” Trotz said Wednesday. “For two good refs, I thought the game was reffed horribly. I’m not sure what happened there.”

“Maybe they wanted to get a better seed [in the playoffs]. I’m not sure if they had meetings about that or what. But we stood in there. I don’t want to … because they are good guys. I just thought it was, in that third period, it was disgusting.”

7. anthonykornheiser - Jan 18, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I have to agree with him about Sather, he built a solid young team with mainly homegrown kids and the best part is, they have an incredible farm system with a ton of talent.
    What I don’t agree with is Dolan talking about it. Although I have to see the whole interview, I still don’t know why he was talking.

8. tikkanen10 - Jan 18, 2012 at 12:34 PM

John Tortorella has the Rangers playing hard with limited top shelf talent. Dolan should just sit back, shut up, and enjoy the show.

9. haterzgonahate - Jan 18, 2012 at 2:50 PM

maybe Dolan know’s something Torts doesn’t know. after all, EA sports did pick the Rangers to win the cup in their simulation.

their simulations have been pretty spot on as far as picking the cup final teams

conspire away hockey fans!

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive