Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
Make no mistake about it, the 2012 All-Star Game is as much a celebration of the event’s home city (Ottawa) as it is about the NHL as a whole.
That point is clear in the fan selections and the two team captains – current Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and former Sens defenseman Zdeno Chara – so CSNChicago.com’s Jeremy Lynn reasonably wonders if the Sens-nostalgia might continue with an alternate captain nod for Marian Hossa.
It’s easy to view Hossa as a “mercenary” player because he jumped from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Detroit to his seemingly permanent home in Chicago during a dizzying run of re-locations, but he was a member of the Ottawa Senators for the longest stretch of his career. Hossa played his first seven seasons with the franchise that drafted him before going to the Thrashers in the blockbuster Dany Heatley trade.
Keep in mind that Lynn isn’t saying this is a done deal, but it seems like a no-brainer, right?
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 22
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 19
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 27
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 30
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 32
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 58
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 17
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)