Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Make no mistake about it, the 2012 All-Star Game is as much a celebration of the event’s home city (Ottawa) as it is about the NHL as a whole.
That point is clear in the fan selections and the two team captains – current Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and former Sens defenseman Zdeno Chara – so CSNChicago.com’s Jeremy Lynn reasonably wonders if the Sens-nostalgia might continue with an alternate captain nod for Marian Hossa.
It’s easy to view Hossa as a “mercenary” player because he jumped from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Detroit to his seemingly permanent home in Chicago during a dizzying run of re-locations, but he was a member of the Ottawa Senators for the longest stretch of his career. Hossa played his first seven seasons with the franchise that drafted him before going to the Thrashers in the blockbuster Dany Heatley trade.
Keep in mind that Lynn isn’t saying this is a done deal, but it seems like a no-brainer, right?
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control