Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Make no mistake about it, the 2012 All-Star Game is as much a celebration of the event’s home city (Ottawa) as it is about the NHL as a whole.
That point is clear in the fan selections and the two team captains – current Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and former Sens defenseman Zdeno Chara – so CSNChicago.com’s Jeremy Lynn reasonably wonders if the Sens-nostalgia might continue with an alternate captain nod for Marian Hossa.
It’s easy to view Hossa as a “mercenary” player because he jumped from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Detroit to his seemingly permanent home in Chicago during a dizzying run of re-locations, but he was a member of the Ottawa Senators for the longest stretch of his career. Hossa played his first seven seasons with the franchise that drafted him before going to the Thrashers in the blockbuster Dany Heatley trade.
Keep in mind that Lynn isn’t saying this is a done deal, but it seems like a no-brainer, right?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)