Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Make no mistake about it, the 2012 All-Star Game is as much a celebration of the event’s home city (Ottawa) as it is about the NHL as a whole.
That point is clear in the fan selections and the two team captains – current Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and former Sens defenseman Zdeno Chara – so CSNChicago.com’s Jeremy Lynn reasonably wonders if the Sens-nostalgia might continue with an alternate captain nod for Marian Hossa.
It’s easy to view Hossa as a “mercenary” player because he jumped from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Detroit to his seemingly permanent home in Chicago during a dizzying run of re-locations, but he was a member of the Ottawa Senators for the longest stretch of his career. Hossa played his first seven seasons with the franchise that drafted him before going to the Thrashers in the blockbuster Dany Heatley trade.
Keep in mind that Lynn isn’t saying this is a done deal, but it seems like a no-brainer, right?
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 18
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)