Jan 18, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
Make no mistake about it, the 2012 All-Star Game is as much a celebration of the event’s home city (Ottawa) as it is about the NHL as a whole.
That point is clear in the fan selections and the two team captains – current Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and former Sens defenseman Zdeno Chara – so CSNChicago.com’s Jeremy Lynn reasonably wonders if the Sens-nostalgia might continue with an alternate captain nod for Marian Hossa.
It’s easy to view Hossa as a “mercenary” player because he jumped from Atlanta to Pittsburgh to Detroit to his seemingly permanent home in Chicago during a dizzying run of re-locations, but he was a member of the Ottawa Senators for the longest stretch of his career. Hossa played his first seven seasons with the franchise that drafted him before going to the Thrashers in the blockbuster Dany Heatley trade.
Keep in mind that Lynn isn’t saying this is a done deal, but it seems like a no-brainer, right?
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 12
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 8
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 31
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 110
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 11
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 63
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 37