Jan 18, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
When you’re a dazzling goal-scorer on Alex Ovechkin‘s level, it’s not often that a goalie has your “number,” so it’s easy to make note of the guys who defy you.
It’s likely that Jaroslav Halak ranks high on Ovechkin’s list. The Slovakian goalie was the main reason that the Montreal Canadiens topped Ovechkin’s Washington Capitals in the 2010 playoffs and Halak also spoiled Dale Hunter’s coaching debut as a member of the St. Louis Blues.
The frustration doesn’t stop in reality, though. The Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno reveals that the digital version of Halak gives Ovechkin fits, too.
“Actually, it’s funny story,” Ovechkin said. “Last night I was with my friend in my home and we play video game and Halak stopped [everything]. Halak was the first star of the day. And my friend just told me, ‘Jesus Christ, this guy just destroy in playoffs.’ I don’t want to talk about it.”
(Hopefully Halak’s performance didn’t force Ovechkin to chuck a controller in frustration, like a certain well-adjusted and totally mature hockey blogger.)
In case you’re wondering, Halak’s current NHL 12 rating is an 88 out of 100, ranking him high among polygonal puck-stoppers – and first place among Ovi irritants.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)