Jan 18, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Jovanovski’s expected to miss two months with the injury; here’s the fight in which he mangled his metacarpus:
According to the Boston Herald, Paille took exception to being clipped by Jovanovski’s elbow (Paille already missed time this year with a concussion) and threw down despite giving up roughly three inches and 20 pounds to the veteran Florida rearguard.
That said, Paille ended up faring much better in the long run as Jovanovski will now miss extended time over his team’s most crucial stretch of the season.
Florida is just one point up on Washington for top spot in the Southeast Division, but just two clear of ninth-place Toronto (whichever team falls out of first in the SE lands in a dogfight for the playoffs.) Jovo was firmly entrenched as a 16-minutes-a-night guy in the Panther defense and with him gone, additional responsibility falls on the shoulders of youngsters Keaton Ellerby (23 years old) and Erik Gudbranson (20).
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)