Jan 18, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Jovanovski’s expected to miss two months with the injury; here’s the fight in which he mangled his metacarpus:
According to the Boston Herald, Paille took exception to being clipped by Jovanovski’s elbow (Paille already missed time this year with a concussion) and threw down despite giving up roughly three inches and 20 pounds to the veteran Florida rearguard.
That said, Paille ended up faring much better in the long run as Jovanovski will now miss extended time over his team’s most crucial stretch of the season.
Florida is just one point up on Washington for top spot in the Southeast Division, but just two clear of ninth-place Toronto (whichever team falls out of first in the SE lands in a dogfight for the playoffs.) Jovo was firmly entrenched as a 16-minutes-a-night guy in the Panther defense and with him gone, additional responsibility falls on the shoulders of youngsters Keaton Ellerby (23 years old) and Erik Gudbranson (20).
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)