Jan 18, 2012, 2:37 PM EST
Jovanovski’s expected to miss two months with the injury; here’s the fight in which he mangled his metacarpus:
According to the Boston Herald, Paille took exception to being clipped by Jovanovski’s elbow (Paille already missed time this year with a concussion) and threw down despite giving up roughly three inches and 20 pounds to the veteran Florida rearguard.
That said, Paille ended up faring much better in the long run as Jovanovski will now miss extended time over his team’s most crucial stretch of the season.
Florida is just one point up on Washington for top spot in the Southeast Division, but just two clear of ninth-place Toronto (whichever team falls out of first in the SE lands in a dogfight for the playoffs.) Jovo was firmly entrenched as a 16-minutes-a-night guy in the Panther defense and with him gone, additional responsibility falls on the shoulders of youngsters Keaton Ellerby (23 years old) and Erik Gudbranson (20).
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (147)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)