Jan 18, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
The NHL announced that Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and Bruins captain Zdeno Chara will serve as the game’s captains and be the guys to draft their sides at the All-Star Fantasy Draft on Thursday January 26.
Alfredsson is the virtual lifetime captain in Ottawa having played for the Senators since entering the league in 1995. Choosing Alfredsson to be one of the captains was as close to a no-brainer as you could get. Choosing the other captain was a bit trickier, but Chara getting the call makes things interesting.
Chara spent four seasons in Ottawa teaming up with Alfredsson and ultimately left as a free agent after the 2005-2006 season when the Sens chose to keep Wade Redden as a free agent rather than Chara. Whoops.
Chara gets the call as All-Star captain over other potential choices in Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf and Calgary’s Jarome Iginla. Having Phaneuf serve as a captain would’ve given the hometown fans distinct sides to root for but that might’ve been too punchy for the league to go for.
Team Alfredsson will be wearing the white and red All-Star uniforms while Team Chara will be rocking the blue and white sweaters for the All-Star Game on Sunday, January 29.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 3
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 11
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 33
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 72
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (75)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control