Jan 18, 2012, 3:42 PM EDT
It’s the rematch nobody expected. Bourque delivered the hit while playing for the Flames and Washington wasn’t scheduled to face Calgary again this year — but when Montreal acquired Bourque for Mike Cammalleri last week, the stars and moons aligned for potential frontier justice.
Not that Canadiens coach Randy Cunneyworth wants any part of it.
“Hopefully, there’s nothing residual,” Cunneyworth told the Montreal Gazette. “[Bourque] paid his price and we hope there isn’t going to be anything residual and, if there is, then we have to be disciplined and let the refs take care of it.
“He has to focus on what he does and that’s play at both ends.”
Cunneyworth’s quotes are all fine and dandy, but let’s be real — it’s very likely Bourque’s focus will be on a swarm of angry Caps. Prior to the Montreal-Calgary deal, Washington forward Troy Brouwer lamented the fact he and his mates wouldn’t get another shot at Bourque while John Erskine, Jay Beagle and Alex Ovechkin also expressed anger at watching Backstrom, their leading scorer, get knocked out of the lineup
In a related story, Caps head coach Dale Hunter has re-inserted Erskine into the lineup for tonight’s affair — the first time Erskine has dressed in five games.
If that wasn’t a strong enough message, consider what forward Joel Ward told the Washington Post today.
“Guys are going to be playing pretty hard, especially against [Bourque],” Ward said. “Let him know that what he did, we thought was a pretty cheap shot.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)