Jan 18, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
Just to follow up on the Weezer-inspired headline from the Morning Skate: Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau isn’t only taking issue with an alleged East Coast bias — he’s also got beef with how the NHL selects its stars of the week.
“There’s no way that [Jonas] Hiller shouldn’t have been one of the three stars of the week,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I mean, good God, Malkin had one game out of four and he gets third star.
“So, I mean, what Hiller did, if he didn’t get first star he should have at least been second or third.”
Hiller went 2-0-1 with a shutout, stopping 62 of 65 shots last week. The Register notes that, at one point, Hiller went six-and-a-half periods of regulation without allowing a goal — very similar numbers to the NHL’s first star, Craig Anderson, who also only allowed three goals and posted a shutout.
That said…Malkin might be the wrong guy to call out. Sure, the majority of his scoring came in a 6-3 win over Tampa Bay — a natural hat trick and five points — but he also netted the game-winning goal against Florida and led all NHLers in scoring last week, with seven points.
That said, Boudreau remained defiant in his stance that the NHL overlooks Anaheim players.
“It’s amazing how the Ducks don’t get the love from those guys,” he said.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)