Jan 18, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
Just to follow up on the Weezer-inspired headline from the Morning Skate: Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau isn’t only taking issue with an alleged East Coast bias — he’s also got beef with how the NHL selects its stars of the week.
“There’s no way that [Jonas] Hiller shouldn’t have been one of the three stars of the week,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I mean, good God, Malkin had one game out of four and he gets third star.
“So, I mean, what Hiller did, if he didn’t get first star he should have at least been second or third.”
Hiller went 2-0-1 with a shutout, stopping 62 of 65 shots last week. The Register notes that, at one point, Hiller went six-and-a-half periods of regulation without allowing a goal — very similar numbers to the NHL’s first star, Craig Anderson, who also only allowed three goals and posted a shutout.
That said…Malkin might be the wrong guy to call out. Sure, the majority of his scoring came in a 6-3 win over Tampa Bay — a natural hat trick and five points — but he also netted the game-winning goal against Florida and led all NHLers in scoring last week, with seven points.
That said, Boudreau remained defiant in his stance that the NHL overlooks Anaheim players.
“It’s amazing how the Ducks don’t get the love from those guys,” he said.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)