Jan 18, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
Just to follow up on the Weezer-inspired headline from the Morning Skate: Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau isn’t only taking issue with an alleged East Coast bias — he’s also got beef with how the NHL selects its stars of the week.
“There’s no way that [Jonas] Hiller shouldn’t have been one of the three stars of the week,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I mean, good God, Malkin had one game out of four and he gets third star.
“So, I mean, what Hiller did, if he didn’t get first star he should have at least been second or third.”
Hiller went 2-0-1 with a shutout, stopping 62 of 65 shots last week. The Register notes that, at one point, Hiller went six-and-a-half periods of regulation without allowing a goal — very similar numbers to the NHL’s first star, Craig Anderson, who also only allowed three goals and posted a shutout.
That said…Malkin might be the wrong guy to call out. Sure, the majority of his scoring came in a 6-3 win over Tampa Bay — a natural hat trick and five points — but he also netted the game-winning goal against Florida and led all NHLers in scoring last week, with seven points.
That said, Boudreau remained defiant in his stance that the NHL overlooks Anaheim players.
“It’s amazing how the Ducks don’t get the love from those guys,” he said.
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 1
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 27
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)