Jan 18, 2012, 11:54 AM EST
Just to follow up on the Weezer-inspired headline from the Morning Skate: Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau isn’t only taking issue with an alleged East Coast bias — he’s also got beef with how the NHL selects its stars of the week.
“There’s no way that [Jonas] Hiller shouldn’t have been one of the three stars of the week,” Boudreau told the OC Register. “I mean, good God, Malkin had one game out of four and he gets third star.
“So, I mean, what Hiller did, if he didn’t get first star he should have at least been second or third.”
Hiller went 2-0-1 with a shutout, stopping 62 of 65 shots last week. The Register notes that, at one point, Hiller went six-and-a-half periods of regulation without allowing a goal — very similar numbers to the NHL’s first star, Craig Anderson, who also only allowed three goals and posted a shutout.
That said…Malkin might be the wrong guy to call out. Sure, the majority of his scoring came in a 6-3 win over Tampa Bay — a natural hat trick and five points — but he also netted the game-winning goal against Florida and led all NHLers in scoring last week, with seven points.
That said, Boudreau remained defiant in his stance that the NHL overlooks Anaheim players.
“It’s amazing how the Ducks don’t get the love from those guys,” he said.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 44
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 57
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 34
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 167
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (167)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)