Jan 17, 2012, 7:27 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Todd Bertuzzi, Detroit Red Wings
With all that’s been said and written about the guy, it’s easy to forget he was once the premier power forward in the NHL. In 2002-03, Bertuzzi scored 46 times for the Canucks while playing on a line with Markus Naslund and Brendan Morrison.
Of course, that was before he attacked Colorado’s Steve Moore from behind on Feb. 16, 2004, ending Moore’s career and ensuring the Bertuzzi name would go down in NHL infamy. (And also ensuring a fascinating civil trial.)
Just shy of 37 years old now, Bertuzzi’s no longer an all-star and he only averages about 15 minutes per game with the Red Wings. However, in his last 24 games, he’s managed to rack up eight goals and 12 assists.
“Bert has been a real factor for us, playing with Pav and Mule,” coach Mike Babcock said recently. “Bert’s been very consistent here of late and playing real hard. And he’s big and he’s physical, and he’s physical with the puck, so he’s protecting the puck and guys are bouncing off him, and that makes him hard to play against.”
Bertuzzi has never won a Stanley Cup. The closest he came was in 2007 when the Red Wings were eliminated by the Anaheim Ducks in the conference finals.
Probably a lot of hockey fans would prefer his Cup drought never ends. Hard to deny he’s playing well though.
Todd Bertuzzi, everyone.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)