Jan 17, 2012, 2:25 PM EDT
With the Sabres set to face the Blackhawks tomorrow, Buffalo News scribe Mike Harrington caught up with Chicago center (and Buffalo native) Patrick Kane.
“I still think the fans get on Miller a little bit too much back in Buffalo. He’s definitely the guy there,” Kane said of his US Olympic teammate. “He’s not having the kind of season he wanted to and maybe things are getting caught up in everything back there.
“I think they can be a good team. They’ve got everything in place to do well. “
Kane’s supportive comments come on the heels of Miller’s emotional response to a 5-0 loss in Detroit (Miller was on the hook for all five goals.) He called the performance “embarrassing” before launching into a tirade about swirling trade talks, questioning his team’s heart:
“There’s no chance anybody comes into this team and just shakes it up or we can even move multiple players and get any kind of return … If you want to just destroy a team and just go out and be reckless and do something, yeah.
“But then there’s going to be new guys in here, but other than that, this locker room’s going to be pretty much the same, if not completely the same, and we’ve got to find it from in here. [Points to chest]
We can’t sit and wait for somebody else to [expletive] do it.”
Any talk of Buffalo’s “heart” leads back to the events of Nov. 12, 2011, when Boston forward Milan Lucic ran over Miller with zero response from the Sabres. Some will argue the incident didn’t have much significance, but the numbers suggest otherwise.
Heading into the Bruins game, the Sabres were 10-5-0.
Since the Bruins game, the Sabres are 9-16-5.
Kane said he was cognizant of Buffalo’s struggles, but couldn’t be overly concerned about them.
“I know the owner [Terry Pegula] and the fans aren’t really too happy with the way things have been going down there,” he said. “That’s fine with me. I can’t really care any more about the Sabres.
“Hopefully we can make it even worse for them and get a win against them.”
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 0
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 4
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 22
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)