Jan 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
1. Ales Hemsky is a pending unrestricted free agent on an Edmonton team that’s fully stocked with young, offensively talented forwards that, like Hemsky, don’t offer much of a physical presence.
2. Save for a miracle, the Oilers won’t be making the playoffs.
Add the first part with the second part and Hemsky (4G, 12A, 31GP) is likely to be dealt prior to the NHL’s deadline on Feb. 27.
So intense is the trade speculation surrounding the 28-year-old Czech that online bookmaker Bovada has posted odds on which team he’ll be playing for in March.
Detroit Red Wings – 2/1
Dallas Stars – 3/1
Los Angeles Kings – 3/1
Edmonton Oilers – 13/2
Florida Panthers – 13/2
Buffalo Sabres –13/2
Field – 3/1
—-Somewhat surprised the Wings are the 2/1 favorites, given they’ve got little problem scoring goals. But if Pierre LeBrun says they’re interested, they probably are.
—-Dallas and LA make sense as both could use more offense. Just depends if they’ve got anything to offer the Oilers.
—-I suppose Florida could be tempted to roll the dice in an attempt to make the playoffs, but not at a significant cost.
—-Can’t see Buffalo acquiring a rental player unless the Sabres get to unload some salary the other way.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)