Jan 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
1. Ales Hemsky is a pending unrestricted free agent on an Edmonton team that’s fully stocked with young, offensively talented forwards that, like Hemsky, don’t offer much of a physical presence.
2. Save for a miracle, the Oilers won’t be making the playoffs.
Add the first part with the second part and Hemsky (4G, 12A, 31GP) is likely to be dealt prior to the NHL’s deadline on Feb. 27.
So intense is the trade speculation surrounding the 28-year-old Czech that online bookmaker Bovada has posted odds on which team he’ll be playing for in March.
Detroit Red Wings – 2/1
Dallas Stars – 3/1
Los Angeles Kings – 3/1
Edmonton Oilers – 13/2
Florida Panthers – 13/2
Buffalo Sabres –13/2
Field – 3/1
—-Somewhat surprised the Wings are the 2/1 favorites, given they’ve got little problem scoring goals. But if Pierre LeBrun says they’re interested, they probably are.
—-Dallas and LA make sense as both could use more offense. Just depends if they’ve got anything to offer the Oilers.
—-I suppose Florida could be tempted to roll the dice in an attempt to make the playoffs, but not at a significant cost.
—-Can’t see Buffalo acquiring a rental player unless the Sabres get to unload some salary the other way.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)