Jan 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
1. Ales Hemsky is a pending unrestricted free agent on an Edmonton team that’s fully stocked with young, offensively talented forwards that, like Hemsky, don’t offer much of a physical presence.
2. Save for a miracle, the Oilers won’t be making the playoffs.
Add the first part with the second part and Hemsky (4G, 12A, 31GP) is likely to be dealt prior to the NHL’s deadline on Feb. 27.
So intense is the trade speculation surrounding the 28-year-old Czech that online bookmaker Bovada has posted odds on which team he’ll be playing for in March.
Detroit Red Wings – 2/1
Dallas Stars – 3/1
Los Angeles Kings – 3/1
Edmonton Oilers – 13/2
Florida Panthers – 13/2
Buffalo Sabres –13/2
Field – 3/1
—-Somewhat surprised the Wings are the 2/1 favorites, given they’ve got little problem scoring goals. But if Pierre LeBrun says they’re interested, they probably are.
—-Dallas and LA make sense as both could use more offense. Just depends if they’ve got anything to offer the Oilers.
—-I suppose Florida could be tempted to roll the dice in an attempt to make the playoffs, but not at a significant cost.
—-Can’t see Buffalo acquiring a rental player unless the Sabres get to unload some salary the other way.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)