Jan 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
1. Ales Hemsky is a pending unrestricted free agent on an Edmonton team that’s fully stocked with young, offensively talented forwards that, like Hemsky, don’t offer much of a physical presence.
2. Save for a miracle, the Oilers won’t be making the playoffs.
Add the first part with the second part and Hemsky (4G, 12A, 31GP) is likely to be dealt prior to the NHL’s deadline on Feb. 27.
So intense is the trade speculation surrounding the 28-year-old Czech that online bookmaker Bovada has posted odds on which team he’ll be playing for in March.
Detroit Red Wings – 2/1
Dallas Stars – 3/1
Los Angeles Kings – 3/1
Edmonton Oilers – 13/2
Florida Panthers – 13/2
Buffalo Sabres –13/2
Field – 3/1
—-Somewhat surprised the Wings are the 2/1 favorites, given they’ve got little problem scoring goals. But if Pierre LeBrun says they’re interested, they probably are.
—-Dallas and LA make sense as both could use more offense. Just depends if they’ve got anything to offer the Oilers.
—-I suppose Florida could be tempted to roll the dice in an attempt to make the playoffs, but not at a significant cost.
—-Can’t see Buffalo acquiring a rental player unless the Sabres get to unload some salary the other way.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 4
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 7
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 38
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)