Jan 17, 2012, 4:51 PM EDT
1. Ales Hemsky is a pending unrestricted free agent on an Edmonton team that’s fully stocked with young, offensively talented forwards that, like Hemsky, don’t offer much of a physical presence.
2. Save for a miracle, the Oilers won’t be making the playoffs.
Add the first part with the second part and Hemsky (4G, 12A, 31GP) is likely to be dealt prior to the NHL’s deadline on Feb. 27.
So intense is the trade speculation surrounding the 28-year-old Czech that online bookmaker Bovada has posted odds on which team he’ll be playing for in March.
Detroit Red Wings – 2/1
Dallas Stars – 3/1
Los Angeles Kings – 3/1
Edmonton Oilers – 13/2
Florida Panthers – 13/2
Buffalo Sabres –13/2
Field – 3/1
—-Somewhat surprised the Wings are the 2/1 favorites, given they’ve got little problem scoring goals. But if Pierre LeBrun says they’re interested, they probably are.
—-Dallas and LA make sense as both could use more offense. Just depends if they’ve got anything to offer the Oilers.
—-I suppose Florida could be tempted to roll the dice in an attempt to make the playoffs, but not at a significant cost.
—-Can’t see Buffalo acquiring a rental player unless the Sabres get to unload some salary the other way.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 6
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 21
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 76
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (76)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car