Jan 17, 2012, 8:29 PM EDT
Just because the Capitals have lost defenseman Mike Green for the next four to six weeks, don’t expect the team to make any knee-jerk moves to fill the void. Washington’s general manager George McPhee explained that he’s in no hurry to make a trade to replace Green in the short-term. Instead, he hopes that a couple of young blueliners that are already on the roster will be able to step-up their games and make the most of their opportunities.
“It’s interesting how things go,” McPhee said to CSN Washington. “Mike [Green] went down early, we gave Orlov a chance and he’s exceeded our expectations. We thought he would need a full year in Hershey, and he’s sort of expedited his development process and he’s playing very well for us. Kundratek is in the same sort of situation right now. We’ll see how he comes along.”
Before you think Orlov and Kundratek are in the clear, he also added that he doesn’t know how things will be in six weeks and he’ll “just have to wait and see.” For now, it’s the youngsters chance to show what they can do with added responsibility.
Green’s teammates were talking about the surgery as well. Karl Alzner noticed that the midseason sports hernia surgery has a silver lining. “It’s good and bad,” Alzner explained. “It’s a good thing he’s getting this done, and hopefully it’s said and done and nothing else will come up. Now we know he’s not going to be back [for four to six weeks] and you have to get over it.”
That’s right—the Caps know they’ll be without their most productive defenseman for around a month and a half. They’ve proven to be a different team in with Green in the lineup despite their current three-game winning streak. They’re 9-1-0 when Green is on the ice; they’re 15-16-2 without the former Norris Trophy finalist.
McPhee sounds confident that his team will be able to weather the storm with the players who are already in Washington. But if things start heading south in the next six weeks, the general manager has proven in the past that he won’t hesitate to make a move to fill the void.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 25
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 42
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)