Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
If you were thinking this season would be Martin Brodeur‘s last, you might want to think again.
Brodeur tells the New York Post’s Mark Everson that he’s thinking about coming back next season and his reasoning is pretty sound.
“I’m having fun,” said Martin Brodeur, expected to be in goal for the Devils tonight when the Jets visit Prudential Center.
“I feel differently about it now than I did last summer, or at the start of the season,” Brodeur said. “It’s not 100 percent, but I’m definitely leaning toward coming back next year.”
If Brodeur does come back next season, he’ll be making life a lot easier for Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. The Devils don’t have a future franchise goalie ready to go next season. Youngsters like Keith Kinkaid (in the AHL) and Scott Wedgewood (in junior hockey) may or may not be the right guys to supplant Brodeur and Brodeur’s backup, Johan Hedberg, is just a year younger than he is. Brodeur turns 40 in May.
As it is, Devils fans will be thrilled to have Brodeur come back for one more season and pay tribute to the guy that helped put their team on the map. Another year would also allow Brodeur the chance to make his career wins record all the more untouchable. At 638 wins and counting, a goalie is going to have to put in a lot of work to just get close to him.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)