Jan 17, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
If you were thinking this season would be Martin Brodeur‘s last, you might want to think again.
Brodeur tells the New York Post’s Mark Everson that he’s thinking about coming back next season and his reasoning is pretty sound.
“I’m having fun,” said Martin Brodeur, expected to be in goal for the Devils tonight when the Jets visit Prudential Center.
“I feel differently about it now than I did last summer, or at the start of the season,” Brodeur said. “It’s not 100 percent, but I’m definitely leaning toward coming back next year.”
If Brodeur does come back next season, he’ll be making life a lot easier for Devils GM Lou Lamoriello. The Devils don’t have a future franchise goalie ready to go next season. Youngsters like Keith Kinkaid (in the AHL) and Scott Wedgewood (in junior hockey) may or may not be the right guys to supplant Brodeur and Brodeur’s backup, Johan Hedberg, is just a year younger than he is. Brodeur turns 40 in May.
As it is, Devils fans will be thrilled to have Brodeur come back for one more season and pay tribute to the guy that helped put their team on the map. Another year would also allow Brodeur the chance to make his career wins record all the more untouchable. At 638 wins and counting, a goalie is going to have to put in a lot of work to just get close to him.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 0
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 29
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)