Jan 17, 2012, 10:24 AM EDT
You’ll never find a bigger optimist in Ottawa than their owner, Eugene Melnyk. He’s never been one to pull back his thoughts from thinking the Senators could make the playoffs and challenge for the Stanley Cup, but even he is stunned by how well his team is performing this season.
James Gordon of Senators Extra has the owner’s surprised outlook on their, to this point, successful season.
“I don’t think there’s a single person on the planet that expected us to do, including myself, expected us to do as well as we have,” Melnyk said. “But when you start putting everything together like they have in that dressing room and with the right coaching, the right leadership within the dressing room, young kids that are hungry, throw a little bit of veterans in there and, you know, work hard and enjoy yourself, and next thing you know, you’ve got a winning combination.”
The Senators are currently fifth in the Eastern Conference and seem like a virtual sure bet to make the playoffs. The Sens’ success even has Melnyk thinking his team will be a buyer at the trade deadline rather than a seller.
The one guy that Melnyk should be thanking the most for all the success is coach Paul MacLean. MacLean essentially took the same roster the Sens had last year and turned it into a winner. Craig Anderson‘s play in goal has been pretty good too.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic