Jan 17, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Interesting note from CBC’s Elliott Friedman in his most recent 30 Thoughts column:
It’s interesting to hear other teams talk about the Flyers. If there’s one thing they really respect, it’s Philly’s willingness to make bold decisions. That’s why there’s a suspicion that if Ilya Bryzgalov or Sergei Bobrovsky doesn’t grab a stranglehold on the net, Philadelphia may look at someone else (on a short-term contract) to calm the position.
Some thoughts on Friedman’s thought:
— Viable netminders that currently fit the bill (cheap, short-term contract) include Evgeni Nabokov, Antero Niittymaki, Curtis Sanford, maybe Scott Clemmensen…yeah, it’s not exactly a Vezina shortlist. Two teams to keep an eye on are Minnesota (Josh Harding) and Winnipeg (Chris Mason) — both teams are teetering on the edge of the playoffs and could fall off, and both of their backup goalies are impending UFAs making less than $2 million annually. Harding’s a steal at $750,000, though there’s probably a lineup of GMs wanting to acquire his services.
— The thought of Philly acquiring Nabokov and curbing the market on Russian goaltenders is intriguing. Intriguing in a cultural sense, not a “this will improve things” sense.
— It’s crazy that, after spending $51 million to solve their goaltending problem, the Flyers could potentially end up having another three-goalie season like in 2009-10, when they went through Ray Emery, Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton.
— Here’s a question PHT readers can fight to the death about in the comments section: Which goalie contract would you rather have right now — Roberto Luongo‘s (expires in 2022, annual cap hit of $5.3 million) or Bryzgalov’s (expires in 2020, annual cap hit of $5.7 million)?
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4