Jan 17, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Interesting note from CBC’s Elliott Friedman in his most recent 30 Thoughts column:
It’s interesting to hear other teams talk about the Flyers. If there’s one thing they really respect, it’s Philly’s willingness to make bold decisions. That’s why there’s a suspicion that if Ilya Bryzgalov or Sergei Bobrovsky doesn’t grab a stranglehold on the net, Philadelphia may look at someone else (on a short-term contract) to calm the position.
Some thoughts on Friedman’s thought:
— Viable netminders that currently fit the bill (cheap, short-term contract) include Evgeni Nabokov, Antero Niittymaki, Curtis Sanford, maybe Scott Clemmensen…yeah, it’s not exactly a Vezina shortlist. Two teams to keep an eye on are Minnesota (Josh Harding) and Winnipeg (Chris Mason) — both teams are teetering on the edge of the playoffs and could fall off, and both of their backup goalies are impending UFAs making less than $2 million annually. Harding’s a steal at $750,000, though there’s probably a lineup of GMs wanting to acquire his services.
— The thought of Philly acquiring Nabokov and curbing the market on Russian goaltenders is intriguing. Intriguing in a cultural sense, not a “this will improve things” sense.
— It’s crazy that, after spending $51 million to solve their goaltending problem, the Flyers could potentially end up having another three-goalie season like in 2009-10, when they went through Ray Emery, Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton.
— Here’s a question PHT readers can fight to the death about in the comments section: Which goalie contract would you rather have right now — Roberto Luongo‘s (expires in 2022, annual cap hit of $5.3 million) or Bryzgalov’s (expires in 2020, annual cap hit of $5.7 million)?
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 89
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (89)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)