Jan 17, 2012, 6:03 PM EST
The injury-ravaged Blue Jackets have put another player on the shelf.
This time, it’s left winger R.J. Umberger — the 29-year-old was put on injured reserve today as he continues to suffer from concussion symptoms following a hit taken during last week’s loss to Anaheim. Umberger has missed Columbus’ last three contests, which snapped his franchise-record 288 consecutive games played, and is listed as week-to-week with no timetable set for a return.
Umberger now joins a staggering number of BJs on injured reserve: Jeff Carter, James Wisniewski, Mark Letestu and Radek Martinek. The most distressing development for Columbus might be that three of its key summer acquisitions (Carter, Wisniewski and Martinek) cost the club over $13 million in salary this season…yet have combined to appear in just 66 games.
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 51
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 13
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Can battered, slumping Stars rise above Blackhawks? 8
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (51)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)
- ‘Don’t ruin a good thing,’ says Don Cherry after historic Rogers-NHL deal (32)