Jan 17, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The injury-ravaged Blue Jackets have put another player on the shelf.
This time, it’s left winger R.J. Umberger — the 29-year-old was put on injured reserve today as he continues to suffer from concussion symptoms following a hit taken during last week’s loss to Anaheim. Umberger has missed Columbus’ last three contests, which snapped his franchise-record 288 consecutive games played, and is listed as week-to-week with no timetable set for a return.
Umberger now joins a staggering number of BJs on injured reserve: Jeff Carter, James Wisniewski, Mark Letestu and Radek Martinek. The most distressing development for Columbus might be that three of its key summer acquisitions (Carter, Wisniewski and Martinek) cost the club over $13 million in salary this season…yet have combined to appear in just 66 games.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 6
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 22
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)