Jan 17, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
The injury-ravaged Blue Jackets have put another player on the shelf.
This time, it’s left winger R.J. Umberger — the 29-year-old was put on injured reserve today as he continues to suffer from concussion symptoms following a hit taken during last week’s loss to Anaheim. Umberger has missed Columbus’ last three contests, which snapped his franchise-record 288 consecutive games played, and is listed as week-to-week with no timetable set for a return.
Umberger now joins a staggering number of BJs on injured reserve: Jeff Carter, James Wisniewski, Mark Letestu and Radek Martinek. The most distressing development for Columbus might be that three of its key summer acquisitions (Carter, Wisniewski and Martinek) cost the club over $13 million in salary this season…yet have combined to appear in just 66 games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)